Valued Contributor

I know this has been a miserable year for so many, in various ways. I look forward to holidays films I wait all year to watch. Holiday Inn, White Christmas, any version of A Christmas Carol, etc...We're near the middle of the month, and all I have seen scheduled is National Lampoon's Christmas, Elf, and Fred Claus. None of the older holiday classics. I looked at youtube but these films tend not to be posted in their entirety. I'm sad. I don;t have the money to hunt for them on DVD. Anyone know of any free sites to watch these wonderful classics?

Respected Contributor

This Sun. at 11:30 a.m. ET, AMC is airing White Christmas. They also show some of the more antimated Christmas shows. TCM has shows on this weekend. Also, starting on Dec. 19th TCM will be airing shows pretty much up until Christmas. Don't forget Christmas Story usually has a marathon starting on Christmas Eve, I think on USA channel. Check your TV's guide or look on line for more specific times.

Esteemed Contributor

@LisaMofSLC  Youtube has versions of A Christmas Carol. But I don't know of any free sites for the other movies you mentioned. AMC, I believe, will play "White Christmas."

TCM only has the rights to certain Christmas-themed movies.

You have to watch your TV listings to see what else might be out there.

Honored Contributor

I do not undestand your statement about not having the $$ to search. Please explain.

Try the library.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I had a few versions of A Christmas Carol weeks ago on some channels. I they start just after Thanksgiving with all these movies and shows. 

Honored Contributor

It has been a challenging year and I agree with you @LisaMofSLC holiday programming has been dreadful. It always is, as networks seem to assume folks are at parties every night and not watching TV, but this year, they really should have known better and done better. The few 'specials' I've seen have been pretty bad and more depressing than uplifting and the decades old animated shows for children just don't measure up for me. Some of those old classic films would be more than welcome, you know in addition to newer holiday films that seem to be getting too much screen time and the relatively lame Hallmark movies, all of which are essentially the same movie anyway...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Check your library.

Honored Contributor

What service do you use?  I use Comcast, so all my suggestions are based on their service.  Probably, Verizon is similar.  

I noticed "On Demand" from Comcast is renting those types of movies this year.  They might be free closer to Christmas.

Watch TCM if you get it.  I see White Christmas and Holiday INN every year there.  Holiday Inn is available free now on Comcast.  Just request it on your voice remote if you have it. 

Many "A Christmas Carol" offered on Comcast.  Didn't look to see if they were free, so I'll let you do that if you get Comcast. 

I'm seeing a lot of these movies are being offered on other venues.  Several on Prime Video and Xumo.  Never heard of Xumo.  Probably, not free to me. 

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC 

USA is showing "It's A Wonderful Life" tonight, 12/11 at 7pm CST.

Honored Contributor

Re: Holiday programming

[ Edited ]

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I know this has been a miserable year for so many, in various ways. I look forward to holidays films I wait all year to watch. Holiday Inn, White Christmas, any version of A Christmas Carol, etc...We're near the middle of the month, and all I have seen scheduled is National Lampoon's Christmas, Elf, and Fred Claus. None of the older holiday classics. I looked at youtube but these films tend not to be posted in their entirety. I'm sad. I don;t have the money to hunt for them on DVD. Anyone know of any free sites to watch these wonderful classics?

@LisaMofSLC 

ITA .....

Turner Classic Movies will start showing their Christmas Classics beginning December 18th.... I dont know why so late----their current offerings are pretty lame ( a horro movie lineup featuring "Them" about giants ants, or a Laurel and Hardy film bonanza---cant they show this AFTER Christmas..Woman Frustrated.) it seems the classics of the season would pull in a bigger viewing audience... and AMC/Parmount is not much better this year...

And FreeForm is nothing but the Santa Clause Series and Home Alone series and the Grinch movie...ZZZZZZZ  They used to have some interesting Christmas programming but now its just these series over and over and over so much for their balloyhooed 25 days of Chrtistmas...ZZZZZ

Sadly some streaming services are buying up some classics to get people to subscribe...NO THANKS APPLE TV....!!!! 

Its like all these channels dont want to pay rental/licensing fees for these movies or have become true grinches when it comes to Christmas programming....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”