Occasional Contributor

My 2 favorites are The Family Stone ( I could watch it any time of the year) and Meet me in St Louis ( which is in part in The Family Stone).

Honored Contributor

I sat down yesterday evening and tried to watch "Elf" for the first time.  It's just not for me.  I got about 20 minutes into it and gave up.

Then I found a showing of the Reginald Owen (1938) version of "A Christmas Carol" and watched that.

I watched it to the end, but wouldn't bother again.  They changed so much of the actual story, with no reason why.  Yes, they kept some of the true dialogue in, but the rest of it just didn't make sense.  After I finished watching it, I read the book again, just to make sure I wasn't misremembering!

The 1951 Alastair Sim version brought it back into line with the book, IMO, and remains my favorite.

Honored Contributor

@Staceys Mom I love both those movies too. 

Valued Contributor

My favorites are:

A Christmas Carol...Alistair Sim

Scrooge....Albdrt Finney

A Christmas Story

All the Rankin/Bass specials

The House Without a Christmas Tree

Prancer

Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas

Polar Express

Can't stand Elf. Another lesser known good one is 

An American Christmas Carol starring Henry Winkler.

Trusted Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

@twinsister Unfortunately we have to pay extra for AMC. I asked the Comcast people if I could trade the dozen or so Spanish speaking channels for AMC and they said no. No one in our house speaks Spanish. So I have to see where else I can find it!🎄

This year, Netflix has White Christmas as part of their streaming line up.

It's available from other streaming channels as well, but in order to watch it you would have to rent it. 

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

There is just one, " A Christmas Carol ," but it has to be the one starring Alastair Sim from 1951. He is the only Scrooge that I recognize. 

@QVCkitty1 LOL!!! Because I'm that way about Capt. Picard!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

My number one, all-time favorite is:

A Holiday to Remember is a 1995 American made-for-television Christmas romantic-drama film starring Connie Sellecca and Randy Travis. It premiered on CBS on December 12, 1995.

The little boy in it is so good and I love the story!  If you ever get a chance take a look!

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum  enjoyed the Noel move very much. We start the holiday season with Love Actually every year

@Bhvbum wrote:

I watched a movie on Netflix yesterday that was really good called the Noel Diary. Very much like a Hallmark movie, but surprisingly good. 

I also watched Love Actually after having seen it 20 years ago. The recent follow up story by ABC 20 years later was really good, they interviewed all the main characters again. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Christmas in Connecticutt is a holiday must for my daughter and I. Barbara Stanwyck in a comedic role with Dennis Morgan.

Going My Way/Bells of St. Mary's -- in Catholic elementary schools we were always shown these two movies in the auditorium during the tough to teach pre-Christmas days so they say Christmas to me.

Die Hard, of course Woman Very Happy

A Christmas Story -- I can watch it only once a season

I'm not a big fan of Elf but the scene where Will Farrell realizes Santa is coming is pure comedy -- I can always watch that when it comes around

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum,

I saw Noel Diary too. It was really good.

My sister and I used to do the sister dance together on Christmas day in front of all our family. The one from White Christmas.

"Sisters. Sisters! There were never such devoted sisters. Sharing, caring, all the clothes that we are wearing.

Lord help the mister, that comes between me and my sister, and Lord help the sister that comes between me and my man!"

We were usually laughing so hard we could barely finish the dance lol!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"