Esteemed Contributor

I am just wondering at what point, or what age, do you have to get consent from the child and/or the parent to put a child's photo on TV.  You know how you will see group photos on TV and the kids' faces are blurred out?  Wondering if like Kelly Ripa can just show pictures of her kids without their consent, from birth through adult hood.  Does anyone know what the laws are about that?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hoda on the Today Show

[ Edited ]

Well, if the children are minors and the parents are sharing photos, then no formal consent is needed.  If they are over 18, I don't know, but I doubt paparazzi obtains consent.

Edited to say, when I share pictures, even of adults, I always ask permission.   I'm not a celebrity...lol.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@blackhole99.  You do know, don't  you, that Hoda did not give birth to her two children?   They're both adopted.

No I didn't know that, I mentioned I have not watched the show in years.Hypothetically, I would still feel the same.

I am puzzled why you would comment without knowledge of the subject.  

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden I generally watch for about 20 minutes to catch the pulse of america stories and then move on.  I have found that when high profiles leave shows go on.

Hoda and Savannah could be easily replaced and it would not change the scope of the program in my opinion.  Melvin and Chantal did an excellent job in Hoda's absence.

Regular Contributor

Re: Hoda on the Today Show

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden I think it went on too long. I understand showing the pictures, but the crying should have made her realize it was time to stop. JMO

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@patbz wrote:

DH and I concur with the sentiments in this thread.  Hoda adopted and it wasn't her first child.  All this time on "maternity leave":is a nice perk (on top of a $6-$10 million salary.

So rich parents don’t deserve time with new children?  So since she is rich, she can simply pay somebody else to take care of her child and get herself back to work quicker?

Who said rich people don't deserve time with their children? Read the post before you respond that is how the discussion goes off topic. Hoda had a very long maternity leave, because she has a lot of money. Most average people can't afford the luxury. That is fact period, it is not an opinion, or a criticism.

Long maternity leave is not a ‘rich people’ luxury.

It’s a sign of a good company she works for.

12 weeks is standard for a non-adoption birth.  

Add in ‘bonding’ weeks (my word), 20~ weeks off is reasonable.

6 months is not that unusual....especially for an adoptive parent.

All this was probably written in her contract.  

Just like any new mother, her joy almost can’t be contained!

Beautiful💛🌼

Yes most full time employees can take with the FMLA an unpaid 12 week leave without loosing their job. I think most women can't afford to take the unpaid 12 weeks.  Hoda does have the luxury that money was not a deciding factor.  I love Hoda, record her TV show and watch the Today Show.  I also listen to her Sirius show.   I understand that she could afford to take the leave and the Today Show allowed her extra leave.  I actually felt bad for Jenna because Hoda left her out their by herself for a long time.  It was also frustrating to see Hoda posting pictures being out at night and then at one point trying to sell her book while on maternity leave.  She is very fortunate that she has a lot of choices,  she could have returned after 8 weeks,  brought her kids and nanny to the show and worked a shortened schedule.  I was just a little disappointed and hope it doesn't hurt her career,  but maybe that is no longer her priority -- which is great.

Super Contributor

Hoda has a new baby? Isn't she in the postmenopause age group? I don't watch these shows.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie :  Hoda is 55 and I don't see any restrictions on her mothering a child at her age.  I was 45 when I had my only child; now I'm 75 and still doing a large part of the child rearing(grands) for half of each year.  I know some people did before they reach 75 but in my family most are active into their nineties.  Think of all the children who have been rescued from institutional living because someone (no matter their age of sex) wanted to adopt them enough to go through all the hoops!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Hoda has a new baby, a sister for her 2-year old.  I'm pretty sure she is post menopausal.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Super Contributor

Good for her. 55 years old/young. Hope she can keep up her energy with 2 small kids. Wow!