Esteemed Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Matt and his wife have been divorced for quite a while due to his infidelities.

@MalteseMomma Not true.  She did file maybe a decade ago but withdrew.

@Mj12.....

lol  I was  adding ,"I may be mistaken"   just as you were  posting to me...........lol

Respected Contributor

There were the Witch Hunts and now there is the Male Hunts. Whether it be an entertainer, journalist, politician or whom ever it has become a hunt.

These things happened in the past, what was wrong is wrong and what is wrong is wrong.

When somethings occurs that is when you do and say something about it by doing nothing you contribute to the wrong and condone it, and basically make it acceptable. You are also the problem and screaming wolf now does not make you less accountable.

Billy Bush was fired for what. No one is safe and secure, a handshake or simple gesture of caring may be considered wrong to someone.

I am tired of hearing about it.

Honored Contributor

Anyone who watched Big Brother last season witnessed women sexually harassing both men and other women. 

To put this inappropriate behavior exclusively on men is both inaccurate and unfair.

Honored Contributor

Blame the wife, blame the victim.  Are you really going to stoop that low in the dirt to support abusive men? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hoda and Al

[ Edited ]

I've steered clear of the harassment threads for several reasons... First because, right or wrong, the subject just doesn't much interest me... On top of that, there are so many of them and they seem often to be closed for commenting or deleted, so really, what's the point... That said, @occasionalrain's post brings up, for me, a tangential issue and that is drawing the line between clearly offensive behavior and behaviors that should be in the repertoire of any fully functioning caring human being... Pretty clearly, most of the cases recently brought to light involve bona fide cases of bad behavior. Unfortunately, given the zeal to avoid any appearance of impropriety, we're increasingly left with very little capacity to express support, empathy, sympathy or caring... and that's pretty sad... Anyone, male or female, gives a co-worker, male or female, a pat on the back and who knows what the accusations might be... A teacher gives a crying child a hug and all bets are off... Honestly, the line in the sand is reaching the point where the only behavior that will be deemed universally acceptable will be positively Stepford... And that, to me, is not progress...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Growing up I was raised by my functioning alcoholic father, my grandmother (who was very old) and my Aunt who was manic-depressive.

Hugs?  Told of being loved?  What the heck was that?  Never got any of it.  How did I turn out?

Well, I'm a hugger.  I tell people I love them all of the time.  And I mean it.....don't like it?  Get out of my way.

My daughters went to a school that was more like an old country school.  It was small and some of the children still came from very poor areas, a few had out houses.

We had a principal who knew every single kid.  He'd come up to them and give them a kind of side hug.  Nothing big just a little side hug.  My girls all had very long hair that they wore in pigtails.  He'd come up and give them a little tiny pull and they'd giggle.  I'd be there many times as I volunteered there.  He did the same for me and others.  

No one gave it a thought.  I knew some of these kids and knew they lived in family much like mine growing up (dysfunctional and never showing any kind feelings).  I knew those little hugs were nice.

I realize it's a different time and it can no longer be allowed.  I have a lot of friends who were teachers then at that school and they have long since retired.  Most said they couldn't wait to retire that things had gotten so bad they hated it.

It's really sad what's happened to this country.  What happened?  How did this happen?  

There isn't one simple answer.  I, like many of you old timers like myself, just sit and shake my head and say how sad it is that these children who could use a hug or an I love you every now and then no longer get it from anywhere.

People wonder how this country got to be so violent.  Again, no easy answer.  However, I would think it's safe to say, if investigated one tiny reason could be that some of these people could have benefited from a few tiny hugs from the right people and/or told they mattered or were loved when they were young.

This is a casualty not mentioned and it's sad.  Will it ever go back?  No....

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

So it has become a witch hunt, friendly touches are out and every one is suspect

@I am still oxox

Nah.  There's a HUGE difference between a "witch hunt" and people finally coming forward with what's been going on in the shadows.

As for "friendly touches" ..... save them for your FRIENDS.    There is just no need for them in the workplace between co-workers.   

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Growing up I was raised by my functioning alcoholic father, my grandmother (who was very old) and my Aunt who was manic-depressive.

Hugs?  Told of being loved?  What the heck was that?  Never got any of it.  How did I turn out?

Well, I'm a hugger.  I tell people I love them all of the time.  And I mean it.....don't like it?  Get out of my way.

My daughters went to a school that was more like an old country school.  It was small and some of the children still came from very poor areas, a few had out houses.

We had a principal who knew every single kid.  He'd come up to them and give them a kind of side hug.  Nothing big just a little side hug.  My girls all had very long hair that they wore in pigtails.  He'd come up and give them a little tiny pull and they'd giggle.  I'd be there many times as I volunteered there.  He did the same for me and others.  

No one gave it a thought.  I knew some of these kids and knew they lived in family much like mine growing up (dysfunctional and never showing any kind feelings).  I knew those little hugs were nice.

I realize it's a different time and it can no longer be allowed.  I have a lot of friends who were teachers then at that school and they have long since retired.  Most said they couldn't wait to retire that things had gotten so bad they hated it.

It's really sad what's happened to this country.  What happened?  How did this happen?  

There isn't one simple answer.  I, like many of you old timers like myself, just sit and shake my head and say how sad it is that these children who could use a hug or an I love you every now and then no longer get it from anywhere.

People wonder how this country got to be so violent.  Again, no easy answer.  However, I would think it's safe to say, if investigated one tiny reason could be that some of these people could have benefited from a few tiny hugs from the right people and/or told they mattered or were loved when they were young.

This is a casualty not mentioned and it's sad.  Will it ever go back?  No....

You do know about the Catholic Priests molesting the young altar boys? This happened in the good old days with priests giving them "hugs".

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think inappropriate hugging and touching is just rampant in society... and it has become hard to figure out what is OK and what is not OK.

EXAMPLE:  A lady neighbor and I were visiting outside in the street  between our homes a couple of days ago...... she has two young children, a boy and a girl. I really do not know her at all.. and I do not know her children at all either.

At the end of our conversation she told her children to give me a hug.... I thought it was rather strange and I could feel the children kind of shrink back like they did not want too.. but the mother INSISTED THAT THEY GIVE ME A HUG AGAIN.  So the two children  did.  I felt very uncomfortable as I did not really want to hug them at all... and the two kids did not want to hug me either. It was just kind of odd....

I think that children should never be told they must hug a stranger... it is teaching something that later may allow the child to accept the wrong  affection from someone else... an uncle, a neighbor, a teacher a stranger etc. 

Hugging and touching is not something that should just be given out to anyone at anytime and this should be instilled in Children from an early age.

Too much inappropriate stuff going on in  society... and it starts with a simple touch....

@SeaMaiden - my daughter was young but old enough to know about strangers.  She was with my m-i-l out walking and a neighbor lady was out.  My m-i-l told my daughter to say hello to neighbor lady and my daughter said, no Grandma she's a stranger and I'm not supposed to talk to strangers.  My m-i-l kept insisting, no she isn't a stranger, Grandma knows her and my daughter kept refusing.

I know my m-i-l was annoyed and embarassed but my kid was only doing what she had been taught.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I think inappropriate hugging and touching is just rampant in society... and it has become hard to figure out what is OK and what is not OK.

EXAMPLE:  A lady neighbor and I were visiting outside in the street  between our homes a couple of days ago...... she has two young children, a boy and a girl. I really do not know her at all.. and I do not know her children at all either.

At the end of our conversation she told her children to give me a hug.... I thought it was rather strange and I could feel the children kind of shrink back like they did not want too.. but the mother INSISTED THAT THEY GIVE ME A HUG AGAIN.  So the two children  did.  I felt very uncomfortable as I did not really want to hug them at all... and the two kids did not want to hug me either. It was just kind of odd....

I think that children should never be told they must hug a stranger... it is teaching something that later may allow the child to accept the wrong  affection from someone else... an uncle, a neighbor, a teacher a stranger etc. 

Hugging and touching is not something that should just be given out to anyone at anytime and this should be instilled in Children from an early age.

Too much inappropriate stuff going on in  society... and it starts with a simple touch....

@SeaMaiden - my daughter was young but old enough to know about strangers.  She was with my m-i-l out walking and a neighbor lady was out.  My m-i-l told my daughter to say hello to neighbor lady and my daughter said, no Grandma she's a stranger and I'm not supposed to talk to strangers.  My m-i-l kept insisting, no she isn't a stranger, Grandma knows her and my daughter kept refusing.

I know my m-i-l was annoyed and embarassed but my kid was only doing what she had been taught.

@CelticCrafter

Good for her!  I don't know why people keep insisting that their kids need to be forced to show affection to people they basically don't know.   Boggles the mind.