Honored Contributor

Re: Hoda Kotb and Joel Schiffman End Engagement, Split After 8 Years Together

[ Edited ]

Together, many of you have probably sussed out what happened to cause the split between Hoda and Joel. 

The configuration of their relationship changed.   It transformed into something that Joel did not really bargain for, and Hoda could not transform Joel into exactly what she needed and wanted at this point in her newly developed family.  Both were dissatisfied.

When Joel met Hoda, she was an exciting TV personality who did not have the baggage of a recent ex-husband or any children.  Deep inside, however, she most likely always harbored a desire to be a mother. 

So, Joel was probably attracted to her independence and found her a stimulating partner in all ways.

With Joel, Hoda found a companion who was probably faithful, loving, even adoring.  Then the thought comes to her that now is the time to make a family.  With Joel.  He seems a pleasant fellow, doesn't he?  Reasonable and all that.  Kind.  Adaptable (or so she thought).

But, as some of you have pointed out, Joel had already been down the parenting road.  He knew its joys and its occasional tribulations.  Hoda adopted one baby.  Okay.  Then another.  Maybe not okay.  Now Hoda wants to be like her grandmother -- by having a larger family.  I'm not making fun of Hoda.  Deep down, I've many times envied my grandmother's life that was all hearth and home. 

One of you noted that Joel certainly was likely receiving less and less attention, and talk went from national news to nappies.  This was a sea change from their original relationship configuration.

Over.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 Well, if that's true old Joel and I had the same reaction.  I stopped watching Jenna and Hoda when it became the "mommy and me" show.  That's all they talked about.  

And she didn't do a kids any favor by waiting so late in life if that's what she always wanted.  

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Together, many of you have probably sussed out what happened to cause the split between Hoda and Joel. 

The configuration of their relationship changed.   It transformed into something that Joel did not really bargain for, and Hoda could not transform Joel into exactly what she needed and wanted at this point in her newly developed family.  Both were dissatisfied.

When Joel met Hoda, she was an exciting TV personality who did not have the baggage of a recent ex-husband or any children.  Deep inside, however, she most likely always harbored a desire to be a mother. 

So, Joel was probably attracted to her independence and found her a stimulating partner in all ways.

With Joel, Hoda found a companion who was probably faithful, loving, even adoring.  Then the thought comes to her that now is the time to make a family.  With Joel.  He seems a pleasant fellow, doesn't he?  Reasonable and all that.  Kind.  Adaptable (or so she thought).

But, as some of you have pointed out, Joel had already been down the parenting road.  He knew its joys and its occasional tribulations.  Hoda adopted one baby.  Okay.  Then another.  Maybe not okay.  Now Hoda wants to be like her grandmother -- by having a larger family.  I'm not making fun of Hoda.  Deep down, I've many times envied my grandmother's life that was all hearth and home. 

One of you noted that Joel certainly was likely receiving less and less attention, and talk went from national news to nappies.  This was a sea change from their original relationship configuration.

Over.

@golding76  So now you are "sussing out what caused the split."

Unless any of us have spoken directly to Hoda or Joel, none of us knows what caused the split.

Honored Contributor

Sooner, I simply built upon what I read here and used some of my own thoughts.  I do not watch morning TV, and so I have no valid opinion on the quality of the program content of Hoda and Jenna's show.  However, I've read what you wrote about the ill-advised heavy focus on motherhood several times on this forum. 

Of course we do not know what really happened to them as a couple, but it is possible that some of what was speculated on this thread has some truth to it. 

Honored Contributor

Pearlee, lighten up!  I do not care if you praise or ****** my post.  I'm having fun just "chatting."   You, apparently, have not released your venom yet today.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Can you imagine how exhausting it must be to live with Hoda?  And then she blabs about it the next day on TV!

Honored Contributor

@Mumof2 wrote:

I am really shocked by this news as I thought they were looking to adopt a third child.  I feel for these young children. 

Why???  They have parents who love them.  Money certainly isn't an issue.   Their lives haven't changed at all.

Super Contributor

I like Hoda in small doses.! Sometimes I say “ calm down “ when she going on about something ! At least I don’t think she is as phoney as Savannah. I do find myself changing the channel after about 15mins of The Today Show.
Honored Contributor

@Beacon girl wrote:
I like Hoda in small doses.! Sometimes I say “ calm down “ when she going on about something ! At least I don’t think she is as phoney as Savannah. I do find myself changing the channel after about 15mins of The Today Show.

@Beacon girl I agree 100 percent with what you said--small doses and yes, Savannah comes over to me as so self-conscious and phoney.  I quit all the NBC morning offerings when Hoda came on air so much.

Respected Contributor

i like hoda a lot more than gayle king