Respected Contributor

Re: Hoda Kotb and Joel Schiffman End Engagement, Split After 8 Years Together

@manny2 I was totally taken back by this news.she seems like such a easy going genuine person.maybe,he isnt? Who knows.a break up is hurtful no matter your status is.i certainly hope her partner jenna stays married.im a fan of hers also

Honored Contributor

Aww, this one made me sad. I like her a lot and was happy that she had her family and seemed like she was in a good place. I'm glad they can be friends and it isn't a contentious situation and their priority will be their children. 

Super Contributor

They did plan to get married...they even set a date....I believe it was in 2020....because of Covid their plans were canceled....makes you wonder if things would be different if they had married....I'm guessing their thoughts of adopting a third child has changed....
Just wondering....what does Joel do for a living?  

Esteemed Contributor

I doubt they just decided they made better friends. It doesn't work like that. I guess it's possible, but not likely. She recently took time off and it made headlines. My guess she needed that time for whenever was happening with the relationship.

Honored Contributor

If Hoda didn't know what to say to the public or how to say it, she could have just asked Jill Martin.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

These celeb engagement dissolvments & divorcing "gushing statements towards one another" ........

"we're better as friends and parents than we are as an engaged couple."

Meaning what exactly? confused.gif

And this.....

"He's a great guy. He's a very kind and loving person, and I feel privileged to have spent eight years with him,"

So why end the engagement?  confused.gif

Keep it real celeb folks.

Lisa & Jason's statement was just plain old goobly ******.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

These celeb engagement dissolvments & divorcing "gushing statements towards one another" ........

"we're better as friends and parents than we are as an engaged couple."

Meaning what exactly? confused.gif

And this.....

"He's a great guy. He's a very kind and loving person, and I feel privileged to have spent eight years with him,"

So why end the engagement?  confused.gif

Keep it real celeb folks.

Lisa & Jason's statement was just plain old goobly ******.

@Mz iMac Well they are not likely to come out and bash each other, as that does no good.  Maybe better to just say that in the end, they decided they were not right for each other.  Although, I don't know why it would take 8 years to get to that conclusion.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I got the impression that the kids were basically Hoda's - that she is the one who wanted to adopt them.  I don't know Joel Schiffman at all, or anything about him.  Maybe he was not comfortable with the whole family dynamic.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who had an absolutely hellacious marriage that reared its ugly head

immediately after the marriage ceremony -- with the marriage taking place after a seven-year courtship -- I'm inclined to think that one party or the other was not genuinely interested in marriage to this particular partner.  

I'll grant that my first husband and I were very young when we met and certainly should not have married right away, considering we had our education to complete.  He was a sophomore and I was a freshman in college.  Still, as the years dragged on, I failed to notice and/or digest that something with off with his enthusiasm after a while.  It was only when I decided that we were obviously not going to wed that I told him I was going to Italy to seek work and a life there that he became alarmed and pleaded with me not to go, not to leave.  His promise, meant to lure me in, was that on our honeymoon we would spend three months in Europe, wherever we wanted to go.

It wasn't the luxurious honeymoon that made me agree to marry him but some unspecified sense that I was completing a project, a goal, I guess. 

Neither one of us should have shown up at the altar on our wedding day, to tell the truth.  Not wishing to be indiscreet, there was always a problem with him, but I was inexperienced and did not know better.

Anyway,  long engagements almost never result in a successful marriage.  I'll never forget that the vice-principal at the school where I taught heard of our story (the length of the engagement), and without being malicious, said, "It'll never work."  

Later on, my uncle said that any man who wants to marry you knows that within six months of meeting you.  I believe my Uncle Fred spoke a basic truth.

My Conclusion:  They were not a good match from the start. 

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

That's sad to hear.  I thought their relationship and their family unit was something special.  Something forever.

Goes to show you, you never know what any relationship is really like. I hope they do work hard together for the girls, but it will be different now, even at best.  

I thought so too.  Like you said never know what goes on