Esteemed Contributor

What did you think of the episode?  Talk about a sad situation.  I felt so sorry for those kids, especially the boy, Dallas.

I think the people who were trying to help were not very helpful.  When they saw the situation of the house, i.e., ceiling falling, walls separating, etc, why didn't they call in an expert to begin with.

There's no way they were going to get that smell out of the wood, no matter how much cleaning they would do.  They said that to begin with, so why did they even go as far as they did.  Disgusting.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Hoarders Last Night 3/19

I don’t think the team initially realized how bad things were until they got rid of a lot of the junk. They did call in a contractor to see what it would cost to repair the place which turned out to be prohibitive. What I can’t believe is that the family let the old lady move back in. Her mind is not right.  She will go back to her old ways or accidently burn the house down. 

Honored Contributor

I have never watched that show. It's sad people are living like that.

My next door neighbor has OCD. I believe he is also a hoarder. Last time I was inside their home it had a path to squeeze through to get to all areas of the home.

The wife or daughter parks in the garage so he cannot fill it wall to wall & floor to ceiling. It has been cleaned out numerous times.

The people cleaning out the garage must have told them they are not doing it again.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 ,

Was this the episode where the woman did move back into the house after all?   I watched a couple of these shows yesterday, and am not sure now which one was the evening show.   

I am no contractor, but what I saw and heard about the house, was fixable if you have the money, and time.    Houses in worse condition than that are gutted and flipped all the time.   When there was no mention of the show helping the woman by moving her into an apartment or another house, I knew she was going to move back in - and so did they.

The conditions documented in the show, and bringing in the licensed contractor for his professional opinion, was CYA coverage for the show.   

Honored Contributor

I've never watched this show but last week saw a few reruns. I really can't stand watching these people! I'm such a clean fanatic that I had to turn it off it was getting me so stressed. Yikes!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, they called in a contractor, but it was at the end.  They should have done that in the beginning when they saw the walls were separating.

Yes, and they left Linda move back in.  I couldn't believe it.  I thought they were going to do a physchological exam on her to see if she had dementia.  Either they didn't do it or she passed.  Don't see how she could go back w/all the health problems she had.

I would bet lots of money that the house is back to where it was.  I don't know, I'm not a fanatic, but I keep a pretty clean house and these houses and the people who live like this are beyond my imagination.

Respected Contributor

Extremely disturbing and so sad. The disease goes from one generation to the next. Hoarding, drugs, it’s all compulsive behavior. 

Trusted Contributor

The show tried everything to get the old lady to not go back to the house but the daughter had guardianship over the old lady and her husband fixed up the house so she could move back in.  It was up to the daughter to make sure she didn’t move back in, not the show.  The show can’t make people get psychologicals or make them do anything for that matter.  You could see during the show that the daughter wanted more than anything to get her mother back into the house.

Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

Extremely disturbing and so sad. The disease goes from one generation to the next. Hoarding, drugs, it’s all compulsive behavior. 

Yes, which is a mental disease!  I kept going back & forth towards the end, because I was watching another program.  I did not realize she moved back in!  The last I saw, they were boarding up the windows, which I think  should have been just bulldozed in the beginning when they found out it was not salvageable!

Honored Contributor

The update at the end of the show, said Linda was keeping the house clean and had not resumed her hoarding habits.    She had been hospitalized again, and a nurse had been to the home and deemed it fit for her to go to after discharge.   Obviously enough work had been done at that point for a nurse to sign off and deem it suitable for Linda to recover there.

Kristen’s husband is a contractor and is doing the repairs on the house.   Linda was encouraged to use her after care funds for mental health therapy.  

I feel sure Dr Zasio did CYA coverage in referring Linda for the psychological exam.  

My husband currently has Home Health visits 3 days a week.   Their standard concerns for the home assessment was does the patient have working utilities in the home, does anyone else live in the home, can the patient read and comprehend instructions, is the patient mobile, does the patient need physical help or special equipment help to function at home, and is the home safe.    

I do not think the house was structurally as bad as the show implied.