Contributor

Saw the movie "Hidden Figures" today, excellent!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

My husband said the same.  He saw it yesterday, and in fact, one of his brothers is an "extra" in it.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

Where were they filming that your BIL was an extra? 

Really great film, my husband said it was the best he'd seen all year (and we go alot).

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @Cavalcade, it was in Georgia (U.S.), that the filming with my BIL as an extra took place.  Intended to depict other places.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

We saw Hidden Figures this weekend and really enjoyed it.  We also say Patriot’s Day and that was an excellent film also.  I recommend both.  We did not enjoy La La Land, however.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I think it's important that young people also see movies like this.   Some of them have NO idea of the challenges women (especially minorities), have had in the past just to get ANY job.....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I want to see this.  I saw most of the movies that are nominated this season and liked Manchester, Fences and Lion.  La La Land was my least favorite, but it wasn't terrible at all!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I think it's important that young people also see movies like this.   Some of them have NO idea of the challenges women (especially minorities), have had in the past just to get ANY job.....................

I get tired of hearing minorities had a hard time.  All women had hard times, especially single moms.  In the work place, especially jobs like waitress, or Manuel, not secretarial jobs, you had to cater to the bosses, for favors in some cases.  It was a hard world out there for all women in the 50,s, 60,s.  No child care except neighbors or family, no support groups.  My post may get deleted, but I lived it, and one of my friends commuted suicide, she could not cope as a single white mom with no experience.

Honored Contributor

Saw it today and this movie is absolutely wonderful. Disgraceful that I never learned about these women in history class. If I was a teacher I would want to show this movie in class and discuss it.

So great to see a movie about real achievements of women-still a rarity in Hollywood. Sure all women had it tough back then, but white women didn't have to suffer the indignity of using a separate bathroom at work that was marked "colored" or drink from a separate coffee pot at work marked same because your white coworkers wouldn't drink from the same one. And be told you couldn't even go to classes to become an engineer because you were black and the school was segregated. Not because you were a woman.

It was a double whammy for those women, but they persevered and achieved.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi I totally agree with you.  I haven't seen it and will probably just eventually rent it.

I think it's important for females understand that they aren't limited in math and that minorities have done important things in history and young minority women can do it too.

So much importance is placed on male minorities and giving them a role model, but I don't think enough is placed on females having a role model.