Honored Contributor

I apologize if this has already been discussed.  I've seen so many of the movies nominated but have not seen this.  DH and I are considering it today.  

If you've seen it, what was your take?  The reviews,  I fully realize, are good.

I just wanted a few others' comments!  Thanks!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

Re: Hidden Figures reviews?

[ Edited ]

I guess we were posting simultaneously, I really enjoyed it, any gender or age group would enjoy it.

Esteemed Contributor

Well worth seeing.  My only negative is that movie (and publicity) make it appear that all "computers" were Afro American; some were but all (I think) were female.  As I was a young adult at the time, I personally experienced the discrimination against educated females.

Respected Contributor

I know most of America disagrees with me but I find the story far more compelling than the acting.  I thought 1 of the 3 starring women was Oscar worthy. 

Honored Contributor

It is a feel good movie.

There is another book called The Rise of the Rocket Girls about the females that worked in the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena (also called computers).  It is an interesting read.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1- I thought it was OUTSTANDING. It's a don't miss, in my opinion. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hidden Figures reviews?

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

Well worth seeing.  My only negative is that movie (and publicity) make it appear that all "computers" were Afro American; some were but all (I think) were female.  As I was a young adult at the time, I personally experienced the discrimination against educated females.

I don't agree - I think the movie makes it clear that Kirsten Dunst's character oversees the entire "computer" program.  However, the movie concerns itself with the "West Computers", segregated to the west end of Langley due to race and depicted by Taraji running all that way to use the bathroom.  After all, if they could pay women less money than men, then black women could be paid even less (that's taken from the following article:  http:  //www.popularmechanics.  com/space/rockets/a24429/  hidden-figures-real-story-nasa-women-computers/  -  I added some spaces to break the link.)

An interesting movie and one I really enjoyed.  I probably liked it the most of all the nominated films, but it is also the most traditional.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1

A complete winner for me❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Definitely worth seeing

Regular Contributor

As previous posters have said, its definitely worth checking out! Wonderful movie. I work in the youth services center at a high school and we took the entire junior class & an after school mentoring group to see it. The other high school in our town also took several of their students. I hope hubby & I can go see it on our own before it leaves!