Honored Contributor

I got a Cagney movie coming today. 'Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye'.

'White Heat', is one of my all time favorites. Love my Cagney.

Haven't seen this one before.

Honored Contributor

Cagney

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Good shot of him ! He was a little man , but, seemed on camera to be whole lot bigger. Personality, I guess.  Robert Wagner used to work for him back in the glory days as his stable boy. I've read both of Wagner books. He really respected the man.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Good things come in small packages.  Incredibly talented.  Impressive resume.  Real range: Stage, screen, dancing, acting, comedy, drama.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

One of the greats.  And White Heat is one of his best.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE, that's one I've never seen before either.  The great joy is discovering new Cagney movies you didn't know existed!   Please report back when you've watched.

Wow, @SharkE and gang, I'm right there with you on brilliant, multi-talented, adorable, 'kinetic-energy' Cagney.

He always strikes me as one of the great, UNIQUE talents of film, like, Judy Garland, and Fred Astaire.  There's just nobody like them, and whatever they have (apart from huge talent) is something new and different and irreplaceable.  You just can't imagine 20th century film without them...

Favorite Jimmy Cagney films: (have to admit, I usually go for the softer side of Cagney, although I appreciate that inferno that almost always seems to be below his surface, ha)

"Love me or Leave Me"

"13 Rue Madeleine"

"Angels With Dirty Faces"

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" (natch)

"Footlight Parade"

"The Public Enemy".  Don't really "enjoy" it, but he's so good.

Want to see:   "Each Dawn I Die" with George Raft, and "City for Conquest" with Ann Sheridan.  Think Sheridan and Cagney would be a dynamite combo.  And "Blood on the Sun" is supposed to be good....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Yup -- all on the "greats" list.  But I really thought he was fabulous in Mister Roberts.

Mister Roberts

Honored Contributor

You are absolutely right, @just bee.  Terrific in that.  For some reason, I've never watched more than just random segments of that film.  Must reacquaint.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

You are absolutely right, @just bee.  Terrific in that.  For some reason, I've never watched more than just random segments of that film.  Must reacquaint.

@Oznell

You must!  William Powell was magnificent.

One of my favorite films.

Honored Contributor

Never cared for William Holden or Glenn Ford. Both seemed wooden to me.

Powell and Jean Harlow? Never could 'see' that. Didn't seem too compatible to me. I always thought Cagney was true blue to his wife and I believe married just once. Somebody in a old film stars group told me long ago that he did slip the chain once I think with Sheridan. I can't remember

I've read every bio and some more then one on my favorites and can't remember.

Thing I like about him is he took up for the little guys behind the screen.

Duked it out with Jack Warner, etc. If he knew some cameraman needed extra dough for a sick kid couldn't afford a Dr. something like that he would intentionally botch up scenes or cause a rift so they could go into overtime on the shooting and the little folks would get extra pay. He always wanted to put it to the 'man'.   LOL

^monk.gif