Honored Contributor

I pre ordered The Uncanny from walmart a old horror type movie with Peter Cushing in it. 3 tales of cats gone rogue. LOL

Love those old time Hammer/Arbus type of movies from back when.

Ray Milland is in it , too.

I like movies like that better then the present day slasher gore.

Honored Contributor

I don't mean to intrude since you addressed Oznell, our resident movie buff!  But when I read your post I had to respond because I too love horrors, not the slasher violent ones but ghost stories and thrillers.  Hammer is the best in many ways and I have the DVD"S, love the Dracula's and Mummy ones. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are great! When Halloween rolls around my DVR is filled with Universal monster movies and whatever is offered on TCM that will scare!!!!!

Enjoy !!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

more the merrier ! feel free to add to the conversation

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @SharkE and @spiderw, those outrageous Brits Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are masters of the genre, without being hideously graphic.

You two, being aficionados of horror, would know more about that than I, since it's not really my thing. Probably the closest I get is suspenseful film noir, ha.

But clever horror, like the Hammer films, and certain others, like "The Innocents" with Deborah Kerr, I can really enjoy.  I think I saw a Hammer film version of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" which was really good.

My fave is probably "Night of the Demon" or "Curse of the Demon" where Dana Andrews is a professor who travels to London in hopes of debunking some occultish mumbo jumbo, and runs into an evil trap. Horror fans probably find the special effects in it to be sadly wanting, but that doesn't bother me at all. Psychologically it was so very chilling....  

Honored Contributor

I've got Dr. Terror's Tales of Terror think it's called starring Cushing, Christopher Lee. They were great friends you know. He mentioned Cushing few times in his book. Lee lived  a long time. Remember him, also, in the Roger Moore Bond film. Still think Frank Langella was the best vampire though.

Clint Walker was my crush growing up. Most handsome man ever lived.

Just recently died. Cheyenne westerns. Just thought I'd mention that. LOL

Back in my day all that was on TV was Westerns, game shows, spy shows

Family shows. Nohting like "naked and afraid" everybody marrying everybody and if it feels good do it type of programming we have now.

Best to turn off TV and pick up a book. I don't remember one school shooting back in the 50's and 60's either. Now, they're so common I'm not shocked any more.   Tragic...........

Honored Contributor

Your post about the poor entertainment choices @SharkE, is giving me motivation to post a TV review of a fun old series on DVD, like the ones we remember.  Thanks!  Will have to get my thoughts together at some point and post when I get a chance.  My thinking is, there MUST be some other people who want to know about some of the better shows of the past...

I can picture Clint Walker-- he was cute, and had a resonant voice, perfect for Westerns...

Honored Contributor

Picture this beefcake, hun

clint-walker-shirtless-1.png

Honored Contributor

b5e9d1aec123a324621a83b6bd5e9759.jpg

Honored Contributor

Night of the Demon is a good one, Oznell, and probably because Dana Andrews was in it.  Cushing and Lee were great actors and they added class to those horrors,  

I love the Innocents, a true Ghost Story like the Haunting, both top notch and both scary in the way I like scary to be.  

I love all the Sci Fy fifties movies, Them, The Thing, It Came from Outer Space and on and on, too many to list. My sister and I grew up watching them and still enjoy.  I have to say there were many that were well acted. All of Vincent Price's movies had that added quality of class as he was like Lee and Cushing, House on Haunted Hill being one of my favs.  On the other hand there were movies back then which were laughable and still are but even those are fun viewing!

All movies are wonderful escapes and we all have our favorites.  Thankfully TCM offers us choices and  variety and it's always fun to hear poster's likes and dislikes.  

Honored Contributor

Making a mental note of your horror mentions, @spiderw.  You and @SharkE could do a joint seminar for us on the "chiller" genre!