Honored Contributor

So glad I tivoed that 'The Locket' movie that was so good. Just now watched it.   The lead character as a child was treated badly, but, all that needed to happen was somebody buy the kid a locket necklace. LOL

she  wouldn't had went off the rails

locket.gif

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @SharkE, that's quite the sleeper of a movie.  Interesting role for the usually "demure" Laraine Day, and quite interesting part for Robert Mitchum, also not his usual.

I was just thinking of you when I found out the Saturday midnight "Noir Alley" movie will be "The Stranger".   I know you like the Orson Welles-directed "The Magnificent Ambersons".  Well, I think he does a great job both directing and starring in "The Stranger", too.    If you've seen it, do you agree, or not?

Honored Contributor

Think I seen it. Can't remember it off the bat and sure have trouble with Rita Hayworth marrying him !

What ? LOL   Hers was a tragic story !

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @SharkE-- what an unlikely pairing.  Hayworth seems to not have had much personal happiness or stability at all in her life.  At least in her later life, her daughter,  Yasmin Khan (sp?) seems to have been utterly devoted to her mother, right through her final, devastating illness...

You've probably seen "The Stranger".   It's the one where Orson Welles is the well-respected teacher in a boy's private school in an idyllic, post-war small town, about to marry a state supreme court justice's daughter, Loretta Young.  Except that Orson is in reality a rabid Nazi still bent on bringing about the Third Reich and sabotaging America in the process.  He's very smooth though, and Loretta is duped and passionately in love with him, until Edward G. Robinson, noted Nazi hunter, presents convincing proof of Orson's dastardly character.

Whew!   Can you tell that I love that movie?  It's really good.

Honored Contributor

Oh yeah, seen that long time ago. Couldn't follow it though. Kind of slow.

Keep us up to date with what's coming up with Halloweenie movies LOL

Respected Contributor

Haven’t seen The Stranger in a long time. It is a favorite for me. The casting seems unusual but Loretta Young was very good. Wells was one of a kind in all aspects of movie making. 

Honored Contributor

Me too, @Catiele.  Welles was great-- you could see the surface appeal that his character had for Loretta Young.  He was intellectually impressive, sophisticated, seemingly acceptable to a woman like her in every way.  Welles was able to show this facade in his performance, as well as the loathsome side, always ready to peek out from behind the fake edifice of his personality.

And Loretta Young.  I'm not even that big of a Loretta Young fan, but I think she was pitch-perfect in this--  lovely, intelligent, but a little naive, and insecure enough to find Welles' attentions flattering...

Honored Contributor

o/t @Oznell  Have you ever seen "Cause for Alarm" with Barry Sullivan and Loretta Young? It's an edge of your chair movie-kinda. Unlikely pairing, great plot. Loved it. Rarely shown. Won't give away any more.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I do like that one, @Judaline.  Very nice, ratcheting-up sense of suspense and dread in it.  Both Loretta and Barry Sullivan very good, too.  (I like him so much, I almost hate to see him in a less than sympathetic part.  Won't divulge more!)