Honored Contributor

I happened to catch some of the Unholy 3 today on the TCM channel and thought Harry Earles was a real baby.  His is an interesting story he and his 4 sisters were all little people and worked in movies back in the day.

They also played the Munchins in the Wizard of Oz. Book on them.

Thought you would be interested in their story. Unholy 3 is a silent movie, but, it was real entertaining. Funny, how silents can keep you riveted even though there's no sound. LOL

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @SharkE, I am interested in them-- I haven't run across them before, or seen the movie.  There was so much "Tarzan" on TCM the last little while, I had kind of temporarily abandoned the channel!  (No offense to Tarzan lovers-- just not my "bag".)

Your mention of the little people in "The Wizard of Oz" rings a faint, recent bell with me.  I thought I had heard that there is new reporting of scandalous behavior or abuse of some of the "Munchkins" on the film-- brand new stuff coming out.  Amazing, after all this time...

Good for you for hitting the silents.  I go back and forth on them-- some I also find riveting, and some don't do anything for me.  Lillian Gish was amazing in silents, also Harold Lloyd....

Honored Contributor

Yeah, that gossip has been going around for a long time and the little guy in 

Unholy 3 mentioned that it wasn't ALL true. After all why should they be any different acting then other people LOL

Book out by Stephen Cox called "munchkins of Oz' on amazon sounds good.

Him and his sisters while shooting the movie all stayed at a different place then the other actors he stated. He was from Germany and his parents had 7 kids and 4 of them were dwarfs. They came to America and worked some in movies then joined a circus. Lived a long time and retired to Fl. All lived

together in one home.

Honored Contributor

I just checked and Unholy Three is a Watch TCM On Demand movie. I will check it out. 
It will be nice to see Lon Chaney dressed like a regular guy.

Don't know why but when I watch silent movies, I still have the sound turned up as if I were going to hear dialogue.

After the movie I will read what I can about Harry Earles. 

Honored Contributor

When I came in on it the 'baby' (really part of the criminal gang and was an adult) one of the bigger men hit him on the head and I thought why did he hit that baby! Then, he takes off his long white nightgown and carried a gun LOL and then you knew he was a older man.  Funny, really, still doesn't excuse the slapping, but, just part of the movie I guess.  I got interested in who played the 'baby' and researched him.   He said they were all well treated on the OZ set and Judy Garland was very nice.

Real name was Doll and after the manager died who bought them to America and changed their name to Earles they changed it back to their real name, Doll.

Honored Contributor

I know I have seen portions of Unholy Three. Because I thought the same thing you did, Sharke. That it was a baby. When I looked up Harry Earles, I recognized him. It seems the Wizard of Oz was his last movie. And most of his roles were uncredited.

Respected Contributor

Hey Oznell .... i don't have to repeat my feelings on Tarzan !!!!

Honored Contributor

Harry, was a cute 'baby'. LOL   Interesting story about that whole Doll family