Respected Contributor

Re: Helena Bonham-Carter, "Room With A View" TCM 10:30 p.m. Eastern Friday

HP in NY, I agree with you about "Enchanted April." The book is great as well.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell,

Thank you for letting us know. Most Merchant Ivory movies are great and this is one of my favorites🌻

Frequent Contributor

I would also add Where Angels Fear to Tread (1905) ia novel by E. M. Forster to the list which was made into a movie in 1991.  Great movie with HBC.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ever since this film first came out, I just couldn't "get into" it, even though I've loved other Merchant-Ivory films.  I tried again last night and watched most of it but still didn't like it.   I didn't mind at all that I fell asleep before it was over.  Last night was my very last attempt to like it, and I just don't.  It's too slow-moving and kinda stupid. Great cast though.  And I immediately recognized Rev. Beebe as the guy who died and whose funeral was in "Four Weddings and a Funeral."

Honored Contributor

I love this movie. It’s the first MI movie I ever saw back in high school. Thus, began my love for HBC and DDL.  My best friend crushed pretty hard on Julian Sands. 

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, I slept through most of it-- really tired and uncomfortable this week after having a couple of wisdom teeth removed--  but came out of my fog long enough to see some charming bits with Julian Sands, at least...

Honored Contributor

Just throwing this out there for fun, since most in this thread know who Julian Sands is.

There are two well-known authors who write both as single authors and co-authors, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. As co-authors, they’ve written several books about one character in particular - the eccentric and strange FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast, who is described as having a very striking particular appearance.  I have always felt that Julian Sands would be a perfect Pendergast. Only a little makeup would be necessary.

Any other Pendergast fans out there?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

comcast has the movie on demand if someone missed it.

Honored Contributor

Had not heard of Pendergast, @Moonchilde, but he does sound an interesting character!