Honored Contributor

Helena Bonham-Carter, "Room With A View" TCM 10:30 p.m. Eastern Friday

10:30 p.m. Eastern--    Merchant-Ivory fans rejoice!   This is one of my favorites of the pairs' prize winning director/producer efforts...

Classic English girl-goes-to-Italy-falls-in-love (with both the country, a man, and a way of life, really).  It is the turn of the century, and Helena and her older cousin, Maggie Smith, have arrived on the Continent.  Helena is eager and open to new experiences and the beauty she finds, but faces some disapproval from her more starchy cousin.   Julian Sands is one of the many attractions that fill her eyes and her heart....

I always just adore Helena Bonham-Carter, and her slightly kooky waif-like quality, especially the young Bonham-Carter.  Perhaps she's a bit to weird for me now, but that might be just her "rag-and-bone" mode of dressing off-screeen.  At least she doesn't look like anyone else, and follows her own singular muse!

Beautiful and romantic film;  painterly, in fact.

Makes a nice Anglophile's double bill with "Darling" which follows it at 12:45 a.m....

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Helena Bonham-Carter, "Room With A View" TCM 10:30 p.m. Eastern Friday

[ Edited ]

I saw it years and years ago, but I really liked it. Nice period film. She has quite a catalogue of films. Some of them have been period pieces like The King's Speech, and other have been kind of weird. She likes to play odd characters and sometimes caricatures. The first movie I saw her in was Lady Jane Gray. I also saw her in a really bizarre movie called Margaret's Museum, where she had a very strange collection in jars. You'll have to see it to know what I'm talking about. Anyway, from Harry Potter to Alice in Wonderland, she always entertains.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love Merchant-Ivory films. I know I saw this one many years ago but can't remember it now so well. Thanks for the heads up. One of my favorites is Howards End. But really, I love them all. They are totally my cup of tea. Ha! 

Honored Contributor

Totally my "cuppa" too, @pupwhipped.  Had completely forgotten "Howard's End"--  another great.

Honored Contributor

Whatever happened to Baby Jane is on at 8!

But I don't think I'll watch it again cause she's just so creepy lol!

Great movie though!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

"Room With A View" is one of my all-time favorite movies.  Always wondered if it would be on tv.  Thanks for posting @Oznell!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

I love it too, 

This Is Not With HBC But Worth It...

Have You Seen  " Enchanted April ( Great Cast )...

One Of My favorite Movies...

Honored Contributor

I think Bonham-Carter is a great actress and I like her style, it is her own.  I remember the movie, A Room with A View and it was another terrific classy British cast performing superbly!  Howard's End is another winner as are so many in that genre.  I always enjoy watching the formality of the times, all the fuss and living a life of privilege.  However, with privilege comes a lot of issues money can't always hide.

Helena should make more movies, but I guess if the scripts don't appeal, she doesn't do them and I applaud her for that.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @HP in NY, I love the actors in "Enchanted April" also-- so many terrific actors in one film!  If' I'm not mistaken, I think that maybe TCM has shown that in the past-- so it may come up in rotation again...

Honored Contributor

Not especially a Helena fan. I liked her early on, but she’s become entirely too self-absorbed and attached to the limelight...and she’s come to basically play herself.

I adore Merchant Ivory films, the sheer beautiful Englishness of many of them. Incredible casts, and the visuals are always lush, gorgeous and sensual.

My favorites?  Heat and DustMaurice, Howards End in that order. The first is rarely aired any more if at all, and it was wonderful. The second was beautifully done and cast with a beautiful soundtrack, and HE featured a long-time crush of mine, Sam West (the unfortunate Leonard Bast).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all