Honored Contributor

Is anyone else into watching this series on Netflix?  I haven't enjoyed a program so much since The Golden Girls.  It has been in production since 2006, with long seasons and Ive watched almost all of the episodes.  It is clean, wholesome entertainment without being stuffy, violent, or profane.

It's a Canadian production filmed in Alberta just South of Banff National Park.  Gorgeous scenery. It concerns the trials and victories of a ranching family and is heavily weighed to include stories about their horses.  Almost every episode turns out to be a cliffhanger; you're never bored watching this series.  Ive really become a fan of some of the Canadian TV productions.  Your older kids could watch and enjoy this one.

I think, from what I read online, that this program is still being filmed.  I hope so as I'm very sad over the prospect of running out of episodes.  Do any of our Canadian posters know anything about it's status?  @Lilysmom. @Ty1?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, here is the latest.  Appears to be going on to a new season. LM

Heartland is a Canadian family drama television series which debuted on CBC on October 14, 2007.

Release
Original network CBC
Original release October 14, 2007 – present
Website www.cbc.ca/heartland/
The series is based on the Heartland book series by Lauren Brooke. Heartland follows sisters Amy and Lou Fleming, their grandfather Jack Bartlett, and Ty Borden, through the highs and lows of life at the ranch.

As of the episode shown on March 29, 2015, Heartland surpassed Street Legal as the longest-running one-hour scripted drama in the history of Canadian television.[1] It celebrated its ten-year anniversary in 2016, and Season 10 began airing October 2, 2016.[2] It was announced on March 22, 2017 that Heartland was renewed for Season 11.[3] The season premiered on Sunday, September 24.

Super Contributor

I started watching Heartland through Hulu.  The scenery is beautiful.

The actor who plays Jack Bartlett is my favorite character, folowed by the actress who plays Mallory.

Amy and Lou are too spoiled and entitled, Amy especially.

I can't stand that whiney "Grandpaaaa"  when something doesn't go her way.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @Lilysmom.  Have you watched it?  I'm so glad to hear there will be more episodes.  Too bad more people don't know about this program.  Horse-crazy teens would love it.  There aren't many shows that are exciting but "clean" and fit for family viewing.

Super Contributor

I discovered Heartland when I was looking around Netflix a few months ago and I was instantly hooked.  It is the kind of family show you don't see too much of these days. The horses and the Canadian scenery are beautiful and Kachina624 's comments are spot on, especially in that you are never bored when watching Heartland.  The show is about a ranching family in Alberta that rescues abused and troubled horses (but please don't be put off from watching the show because of that, because it is all very well done) and you will find yourself rooting for the horses to get well.  Following the family life is also very interesting. The only character I don't like is Georgie (she is in later episodes) who is very manipulative, always gets her own way and is extremely annoying - and I find myself wishing I could dish out some discipline.

Amber Marshall (who plays Amy, the main character) and her husband own a ranch in the Banff area and many of the animals in the show actually belong to them.

Each series is about 17 or 18 episodes long (45 minutes each episode) but unfortunately Heartland is part of that rather annoying trend now (for me, anyway) where you have to wait for a year before the next series starts.  So far, there are nine series on Netflix and I did read that season 10 will be starting on Netflix in March.  I believe that filming has already started on series 11.

I would definitely recommend that anyone trying out Heartland should start right at the beginning of series 1 in order to follow the thread of the family life. 

I really hope you all enjoy the show.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I haven't watched it.  I will definitely give it a try.  Thanks for posting.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Fona   Last night I discovered that some of the episodes filmed after what's on Netflix are available on YouTube.  I didn't get a chance to check out just what's available.

I have also enjoyed the Canadian program Highway Through (into?) Hell which is about wrecker drivers cleaning up trucking messes after accidents on the treacherous Coquihalla  Highway in British Columbia.  The things theyre able to do are amazing.  Great mountain scenery in this one too.

Super Contributor

Kachina624:  Many thanks for the information.  I'll definitely take a look.

I really noticed how beautiful the Canadian scenery was when I did a trip to the Banff area about three years ago, and the Heartland scenery has given me a lot of pleasure.  It is all truly beautiful and my dream is to take a trip right across Canada.  So far, it's a dream, but I'm working on it...!! 

Happy Heartland viewing.

Trusted Contributor

If anyone has the UP channel in their lineup, this show is aired on that channel, new seasons when available in the US, and re-runs also.

Just an FYI.  I have followed this show on UP since the beginning and love it too.