Respected Contributor

Re: Hayden Panettiere boyfriend arrested again for Domestic Violence!

It is not as easy to walk away from as one would think. 

Honored Contributor

Anyone can be a victim of domestic violence. It seems we are hearing more reports of it involving celebrities than in the past. I feel even worse that these victims see their very personal problems splashed everywhere in social media, tv, etc.
Esteemed Contributor

I hope she gets the help she needs to spin out of her personal pain and chaos.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Mumof2 wrote:

The sad thing is she will likely in the end not press charges.  It's a vicious cycle. 

Once the prosecutor's office has issued a domestic violence charge, the victim has no authority to drop the charges.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Mumof2 wrote:

The sad thing is she will likely in the end not press charges.  It's a vicious cycle. 

Once the prosecutor's office has issued a domestic violence charge, the victim has no authority to drop the charges.

But the victim could refuse to testify or cooperate in any way and there goes the case.  It happens all the time.

Honored Contributor

Some people (both men and women) have weird mental states. Some of the most beautiful women in the world stay with men who constantly degrade and abuse them and call them ugly because they have a low self-image and since the abuser says what they feel inside, they think the abuser is the only person being truthful to them. 

If the person insults them or assaults them, they feel he/she (it can be another woman also) only did it because they deserved it. If you tell them they're beautiful, valuable, deserving, they just dismiss it as fluff. "You're just saying that," because they don't believe it themselves. They don't think you know the real them. The real them, in their minds anyway, is the flawed person they see when they look in the mirror. If you tell them they're ugly, horrible, worthless, they tend to believe it as that's how they feel inside. That's how they see themselves. "Finally, I found someone who tells me the truth!"

I don't know how much of it is how their brains are hardwired, how much is learned, or what the issue is, but you see it quite a bit, more so in women than men, but there are men with the same issue. 

You would think someone like Hayden Panettiere wouldn't have a self-esteem issue of any kind, but lots of people do and others find those with those issues and exploit them. There's absolutely no logical reason for her to stay with an abuser. So, why does she do it? Best guess is she feels like it's what she deserves.

You also have people at the opposite extreme who are convinced they're vastly superior to everyone else and nothing can shake that belief. If there was a way you could reach into people's heads, find the dial that controls their self-esteem and set it to a medium setting instead of high or low, you'd solve a lot of the problems in the world.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I think she's another example of what can happen to child stars.  She was on the soap operas One Life to Live around age 5 and Guidling Light around age 7.