Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Seen The Movie Cats?

@Catty2 wrote:

I saw the play years ago and liked it.  But I have no desire to see a bunch of computer generated "cats" with human faces dubbed in.  I know it hasn't made that much money.  And think of how much they had to pay all those well known actors. 

@Catty2 OH MY!!!  The cats were computer generated with all of the talent around!!!  

The head cat in the original Broadway play took over the Theater Department at one of the colleges I had attended.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw it a few days ago and it was kind of “meh” to me. Not as horrific as I was thinking it would be, but I also was a little bored (seriously, are we supposed to care about some of the cats selected to to the Jellicle Cat? Their stories weren’t exactly compelling.)

I think I quickly got used to the cats and didn’t even mind the other oversized scenery and furniture to account for the cats’ size. However, as I mentioned in the previous thread, I HATED some of the special effects of the cats leaping. That was incredibly fake looking, when the human body could do so much more via dance or acrobatics. Speaking of which, the dancing was really good and sometimes had to sit on my hands because I wanted to applaud.

Jennifer Hudson was actually a little restrained to my relief. Obviously she went big when it was called for (to my gasping sobs), but she wasn’t all big, if you know what I mean.

I will still never understand why it was on Broadway for so long...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw the Broadway show several times. LOVED IT!! One time my mom and I had standing room tickets and one of the cats scratched my back as she danced through the theater.

Have ZERO desire to see the movie. 

Valued Contributor

I saw the broadway show and it was the worst show ever next to bettlejuice.

worst broadway show ever made.

Esteemed Contributor

Saw the play in L.A. and I loved it. Haven't seen the movie, but I would like to. It's been panned by critics, but I usually don't let that stop me. They raved once about The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which I found tedious at best, and they raved about Hannah and her Sisters which was so boring we got up and left halfway through. I'm willing to try Cats on screen.

Honored Contributor

DH and I went to see "Cats" on Wednesday and we both loved it.  We've seen the stage production and we have the DVD of that, too.

We think the critics live in their own rarefied world and have no idea what the general population wants, when they go to see a movie (to be entertained, perhaps?).  We never listen to them, as they've praised some really awful films to the sky.

All the criticisms we've read so far, seem as if they're just searching for some reason to pan it.  If you do a search online for the reviews of "ordinary" people who've actually gone to see it, the result is very different.

I think anyone who is interested should go and make up her/his own mind.  Don't let someone else decide for you.

Trusted Contributor

I saw the movie over the holidays. Except for the Taylor Swift number it was bad.....

One of my favorite song performances of all time is the original Broadway star Betty Buckley's performance of "Memories". She actually SANG. Jennifer Hudson yells. The  movie underplayed this song for some strange reason and Miss Hudson used dramatics to cover up not being able to hit the high notes.

By the end of the movie people in the audience were laughing. Judy Dench's sign off was cringe worthy.

Also, the CGI effects....my favorite commercial review was "My eyes, my eyes, oh G*d my eyes!" Oh, the CGI cockroaches.......Enough said.

However, mostly I will never forgive them for how they threw away a star like Idris Elba......

Honored Contributor

I saw the Broadway production of this and wanted to poke my eyes with a sharp stick.  Gawd.  No way I'm going to see the movie.    

Honored Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

I saw the movie over the holidays. Except for the Taylor Swift number it was bad.....

One of my favorite song performances of all time is the original Broadway star Betty Buckley's performance of "Memories". She actually SANG. Jennifer Hudson yells. The  movie underplayed this song for some strange reason and Miss Hudson used dramatics to cover up not being able to hit the high notes.

@candyagain- Taylor Swift wrote "Beautiful Ghosts" especially for the movie and it's such a wonderful song.

I saw Jennifer Hudson sing "Memory" on the finale of "The Voice" and it was beautiful.  She has a powerful voice.  I was expecting the same thing in the movie, but I would guess she did as directed instead.  She wouldn't have arranged it herself, to be fair.

I love the version that Elaine Page did in the original British production.

Respected Contributor

Someone said that Cats was the worst thing to happen to cats since dogs lol.

What worries you masters you.