Respected Contributor

Have You Noticed Some Shows Have Voice Overs?

I've noticed lately that some shows like AFV, Property Brothers and HomeTown have a femail voice doing a voice over during part of the show. It's very soft and she speaks fast.  I find it very annoying because all she does is repeat what you are seeing.  For instance a video might show a boy getting hit with a ball, the voice says "boy gets hit with a boy".  Really strange and I don't see the point.

Has anyone else noticed this?  

Super Contributor

Re: Have You Noticed Some Shows Have Voice Overs?

I have seen some shows with voiceover.....I think that it may be for the benefit of those that are sight impaired...

Trusted Contributor

is your closed captioning on? 

Honored Contributor

You might have hit some setting on your tv that describes what's happening for the blind or sight impaired.

Not all shows have it, so that's why it's only on some shows.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I actually dislike it and find it annoying and change the channel.  This has been on TV programs.  I have not heard it on QVC.  If I had problems with hearing, I would buy myself headphones.  The voice is not loud enough to assist someone with hearing problems.  It serves no purpose.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Winkk   I subscribe to Comcast and last year I brushed the wrong button on the remote and what you describe happened.  It took me three hours to find out doing online searches how I made the error and how to undo it to bring everything back to normal.

The setting you are describing is used by people that are legally blind or totally so.

Hope this helps.

aroc3435

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I actually dislike it and find it annoying and change the channel.  This has been on TV programs.  I have not heard it on QVC.  If I had problems with hearing, I would buy myself headphones.  The voice is not loud enough to assist someone with hearing problems.  It serves no purpose.

I agree.  As far as I know I didn't touch any settings and even if I did it's only those 3 shows.  I agree @Katcat1 it is very annoying and I do change the channel.

Honored Contributor

Not all shows provide the service, that's why it's not on all shows.

I hit something on my remote and removed the logos from the channel grid.  Took me forever to figure out what the heck I did.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I have Comcast so maybe I'll see if I can figure it out.  I'll probably fix that and mess up something else.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Respected Contributor

@Winkk: Sounds like the closed-captioned feature has been activated.