Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone seen Bombshell?

I just got home from seeing it. I admit I don’t watch Fox, but obviously know the players (particularly Megyn Kelly).

I thought it was good - done in the typical style of these kind of movies. Maybe a few dull moments, but, for the most part I was engaged. Great performances - really quite a few big names in the cast; there’s a lot of familiar faces that show up. A decent B grade, IMO.

One comment: I’m sorry to say that I just don’t find Kate McKinnon believable. I think this is probably her first “normal” character and maybe I am finding it difficult to separate her from all the characters she plays so effortlessly on SNL. But, I think the part of why she can morph into the different over the top characters is her very expressive face. And, IMO, it just doesn’t translate to normal, so she still seemed a little over the top for me. A minor quibble as she has a very small part.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ ...  I'll have to check to see where it is showing in my neck if the woods.  I am in Mesa right at the borderline of Gilbert and Mesa so either location would work.  

I am having a relatively good holiday season, there are just the three of us, my daughter, Lindsay, and me.  All my other relatives are either in New York or New Jersey.  

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, @Lindsays Grandma. I know that area well. I used to teach in Mesa and live in Gilbert. I am sure it should be playing near there.  I am now in very southern AZ - south of Tucson even!

I just got back from seeing the Richard Jewell movie - it was really good and horrifying at the same time. It made me so angry that once the FBI and the media have decided someone is guilty, they make it so. I know there are bad people in all professions, but when you get a rogue FBI agent together with a very ambitious reporter, all bets are off. And that story was in 1996!!!!!! 

I am planning a pretty quiet holiday season - more movies for me and some time for baking. I just had my one year anniversary of retiring and I have been enjoying it a lot! Enjoy your family time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lisa now in AZ ...  After living in Los Angeles for 40 years we moved to Queen Creek in 2003 because my daughter tried to buy a house, bad timing, prices were up and anything she could afford was in bad shape.  Queen Creek was ideal at the time, new affordable housing being built, right up her alley.  We finally left Queen Creek, too far from everything and having lived in CA where everything was practically at your fingertips, it just wasn't for us.

How do you like where you are?  I haven't seen any other part of AZ except Queen Creek, Mesa and Gilbert, and much prefer Gilbert now that I've seen both.  Glad you are enjoying retirement.  It took me a very long time to get used to not working and that is because I loved my job a whole lot.   In between baking, enjoy your movies...and the Forums.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@LindsaysGrandma  Welcome to Az. I live in Glendale, Az. hardest time is getting threw the summers but we did. So glad out of expensive Calif, earthquakes, taxes & traffic. fires & floods. We get a lot of Calif. people moving here and where I live they are building houses and selling so fast glad to see ecomony moving forward but hope not the traffic. I did live in Concord, Ca. suburb of San Fran years ago so glad to get out of that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I saw that the Kate McKinnon and Margot Robbie characters are fictional characters created by stories told by several women.  Sometimes the composite characters like that are difficult to follow as "normal" or realistic, but I've read that these characters, especially Robbie, play important scenes.  I've also read that the film is earning well below projections.  Meghan Kelly has said there are inaccuracies which probably doesn't help much.  I was expecting the movie to be a "bombshell," but critics are saying it scratches the surface.  From the images released so far, I'm not seeing the big resemblance between Theron and Kelly.  

Esteemed Contributor

have no desire to see th movie .  Don't care for Meghan kelly ,  plus doesn't sound as if much is accurate.  Im not crazy about these types of movies in general.  

Valued Contributor

Just saw “Bombshell”.  DH and I both enjoyed it. Charlize Theron and Margot Robbie were excellent. John Lithgow was perfect as Roger Ailes. Fantastic make up. Recommend. 

Regular Contributor

My adult son and I saw "Bombshell" this afternoon. The theater was quite full, so I was glad he had pre-purchased tickets for us at a movie that had assigned seating.

I honestly wasn't sure what to expect prior to seeing the movie, so i must admit that I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it (my son thoroughly enjoyed it too). Plus, I actually learned a few things from the movie that I hadn't known before about the whole Roger Ailes & Fox News sexual harassment situation.

My mom and my sister are seeing "Bombshell" next week. I know the two of them will really enjoy it. And I'm hoping to see the movie again next weekend with my daughter. I know she's gonna love it.

Honored Contributor

I really want to see this movie. In 2004 Charlize Theron won a best actress Oscar for her portrayal in Monster, Renee Zellweger won best supporting actress for Cold Mountain. Renee was probably the one to beat for best actress Oscar for her protrayal of Judy Garland,  now she'll have stiff competition from Charlize Theron for her portrayal of Megyn Kelly.