Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever seen the Movie Open Water?

It is based off of a real life experience. The movie was made in 2004. It is about a couple who go on vacation and go diving, and end up staying down on the dive longer than they should have and fter an incorrect dive count, the boat leaves without them.

When they do finally come up, the boat is gone, and it shows what happens to them as they wait anxiously for a rescue boat. Wow is all I can say! It was showing the other night on I believe Showtime!

Anyhone else see it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever seen the Movie Open Water?

Good movie, I’ve seen it several times.

Regular Contributor

I've seen that movie! Very scary in a suspenceful  way!

Honored Contributor

I've seen it several times also and agree it's a really good movie!

Such a terrifying experience!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN. I started watching this a few nights ago in bed, pretty late at night. I watched til they got into the boat with the others but, since I'd never heard of this film before and didnt know where it was going plot wise, I turned the station because I didnt want to watch something possibly disturbing that could give me nightmares. Thanks for cluing me in about the plot.
Trusted Contributor

I've seen it once, maybe twice, a few years ago.  It's the kind of movie I don't like to watch again.  I like suspense, but this is really something.  Also, I read that the story may be exaggerated.  So, not sure if it's all true.  

Respected Contributor

I've seen it several times, it was a good movie.

It was "loosely" based on the true story of Tom and Eileen Lonergan. 

I can't imagine being stranded in the middle of the ocean. Talk about a nightmare!!

Thomas and Eileen (Hains) Lonergan were a married American couple who were mistakenly stranded in the Coral Sea off Australia's northeast coast on January 25, 1998, during a group scuba diving outing. Their absences were not noted by the boat crew until two days later, on January 27, and while search efforts resulted in the discovery of personal effects presumed to be those of the Lonergans, they did not lead to their discovery. Their whereabouts are unknown, though both are presumed deceased

Several theories were suggested surrounding their disappearance. At the time, it was suggested that the Lonergans might have staged their disappearance. However, the Lonergans' bank accounts were never touched and their insurance policies were not claimed.

Another theory suggested that the pair committed suicide, or murder–suicide. This theory was bolstered by entries found in both victims' diaries. Excerpts from Tom's personal diary were used to portray a deeply disturbed man who was looking for a "quick and peaceful" death. Eileen's writings had expressed concern for her well-being, given Tom's "death wish". She had openly chosen to stay with Tom, no matter the outcome. However, the diary entries were taken out of context, according to Eileen's parents and family members. The family, the coroner Noel Nunan, and the Port Douglas police claim that only pages that would validate the suicide theory were leaked to the press, whereas the majority of the diaries remain unread except by the coroner, Port Douglas police, and the Hains family.

Eileen's father, John Hains, later said that he suspects the couple ultimately became dehydrated and disoriented and in the end succumbed to drowning or sharks. During the inquest on the deaths, experts speculated that, based on the state of the gear recovered, the couple had not likely experienced an animal attack, but rather succumbed to delirium resulting from dehydration, which caused them to voluntarily remove their diving outfits. Without the buoyancy provided by their gear, experts testified the couple would have been unable to tread water for long, and would have soon drowned.

The coroner dismissed suggestions that the Lonergans had either committed suicide or faked their own disappearance, and formally charged Jack Nairn, skipper of the dive boat, with their unlawful killing. He was later found not guilty, but his company was fined after pleading guilty to negligence and went out of business. Queensland's government also introduced stiffer regulations, among which was the requirement that captains and dive masters independently confirm each head count.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good movie...but scary and sad especially that it was true life....

Honored Contributor

When we were in Australia we also did the dive boat to the Great Barrier Reef. I didn’t go in the water. Didn’t feel that well. Anyway, I made sure all 7 of my family were on the boat with me when we left. And then Steve Erwin dies from a sting ray a few weeks later.

Regular Contributor

theres an Open Water 2 also...which is just as good.   different of course..but just as good