Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday I saw an ad about downloading Quibi which is free for 90 days (sign up by April30) and wondered what that's all about.   

Quibi = "Quick Bites.  Big Stories."

It says it's got "original shows with the world's biggest stars."  (Sounds similar to Apple TV+?)

In the app store, there's nothing about how much it will cost after 90 days, but I found an article that says it will be $4.99/month with commercials and $7.99/month without commercials.  

The idea is that a show or movie is broken down into 10-minute episodes, so it's for people on the go.  Some say they are targeting a "younger demographic."  It's not available to stream from Smart TV, but I'm wondering if I can mirror my phone to the TV?  

Quibi is founded by Jeffrey Katzenberg (former chairman at Walt Disney Studios & co-founder of DreamWorks) and the CEO is Meg Whitman (former president/CEO at eBay & board member at HP).  

I'm curious about this for streaming a chapter/episode 10 minutes at a time.   If you've tried it, I'd love to learn more about which shows you're streaming.  I plan to download it today.

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anybody tried Quibi?

From what I'm reading on the twitter feeds of all the celebs participating, it feels (to me) like these are mini vanity projects.

Another form of social media platform for "influencers."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

From what I'm reading on the twitter feeds of all the celebs participating, it feels (to me) like these are mini vanity projects.

Another form of social media platform for "influencers."

Thats interesting and probably true about the mini vanity projects. 

I was wondering who all these "world's biggest stars" will be.  Some who are being promoted on the Quibi website are Liam Hemsworth, Sophie Turner, Jennifer Lopez, and LeBron James.  I also saw they will have something called "No Filter" by TMZ which I'm guessing will be a celebrity gossip show.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fanColbert and someone who is obviously a celebrity hosting the show discussed it last night.  I have no idea who that celebrity is and couldn't understand all of what he was saying.  That 5 minutes was enough for me to know Quibi isn't going to be for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@wildcat fanColbert and someone who is obviously a celebrity hosting the show discussed it last night.  I have no idea who that celebrity is and couldn't understand all of what he was saying.  That 5 minutes was enough for me to know Quibi isn't going to be for me.

Thanks for sharing that @millieshops. I didn't see Colbert's show.  Yesterday I saw a little commercial about Quibi on TV.  I had never heard of it, so I looked it up today.  Seems there's been some criticism about it just being able to be streamed from mobile devices.  I'm not exactly interested in streaming shows on my phone, but might if the shows were interesting.  However, if they're targeting a younger demographic, it's probably not for me either.

Honored Contributor

I don't like "free trials", you have to give them a credit card. Now they're counting on you not remembering to cancel, all of a sudden you look at your credit card bill, and there it is!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I don't like "free trials", you have to give them a credit card. Now they're counting on you not remembering to cancel, all of a sudden you look at your credit card bill, and there it is!

I have an iPhone, so I didn't need to enter a credit card.  It seems the monthly bill would come through just as it would if I make a purchase at iTunes or the App Store--using the credit card I have on file with Apple.  I put it in my calendar so I'd get an alert before the trial is over.  I don't think it's something I'd want to pay for.  There just doesn't seem to be enough content to keep me interested in getting a subscription.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like entertainment for celebrity-following individuals with attention-span deficit.