Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Here Seen the HBO Movie "Taking Chance"?

This is an amazing HBO Movie.  I saw it when it first came out.

It's the kind of movie you will remember forever.  Due to everything going on these days, it seems appropriate for those curious or who have no idea how the military handles their casualties.

My late husband was in the Honor Guard in the 60's during the Vietnam War.  He and his comrads burried as many as (his words) 50 or more a day.  It was one after another.  It was always the same.  We were married during that time and I remember how meticulous his clothes were kept, his shoes, his hair cut (called white walls) so the hat sat perfectly on his head.  So many things most people never think about.  

These men of the Honor Guard who bury these men do a job no one else can imagine.  He'd come home and tell me stories of wives, mothers and family members so upset it was heartbreaking.

So before you judge anyone or anything, watch this movie and you'll become familiar with how our Country honors it's fallen men and women.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Here Seen the HBO Movie "Taking Chance"?

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

This is an amazing HBO Movie.  I saw it when it first came out.

It's the kind of movie you will remember forever.  Due to everything going on these days, it seems appropriate for those curious or who have no idea how the military handles their casualties.

My late husband was in the Honor Guard in the 60's during the Vietnam War.  He and his comrads burried as many as (his words) 50 or more a day.  It was one after another.  It was always the same.  We were married during that time and I remember how meticulous his clothes were kept, his shoes, his hair cut (called white walls) so the hat sat perfectly on his head.  So many things most people never think about.  

These men of the Honor Guard who bury these men do a job no one else can imagine.  He'd come home and tell me stories of wives, mothers and family members so upset it was heartbreaking.

So before you judge anyone or anything, watch this movie and you'll become familiar with how our Country honors it's fallen men and women.

Thank you for your beautiful post, Annabelle.  My father went on 3 tours of Vietnam and retired as a Colonel in the Marine Corps.  He passed away a few years ago and I still have a hard time watching movies or documentaries about the military.  Dad shared very little with me and had nightmares for most of his life.  Very traumatic to wake up as a child and not know what was going on, but my dad never spoke about them.  

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to look out for it. My younger (& only) brother was a military man, & my son aspires to be,, so I like to watch anything of that nature.

Respected Contributor

Incredible movie, amazing performance by Kevin Bacon. Critically important message for anytime. It left a deep impression on me, I agree its a movie one remembers for a lifetime.

Frequent Contributor

Dear Annabellethecat,

Thank you for this so important post.  I, too, saw this movie when it came out.   Every American should see this movie.  Believe it can be purchased online very inexpensively.  It would be nice if it could be sold on behalf of Veterans.

I am sorry your husband has now passed.  Fortunately, I am lucky my husband made it home from serving in the 101st Airborne in and around Quang Tri so near the northern border.  He is a member of the VFW and now serves in the Honor Guard at local military funerals.

Annabellethecat's post cannot be improved upon.  Every word so true.

Please, everyone, take the time to see this very important movie.

Maureen

Valued Contributor

Yes, i saw the movie some time back.  Made a big impression on me.  Should be re-released!

Two more movies that made a big impact-The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and Hacksaw Ridge.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I stumbled upon this movie months ago. It leaves you numb. I would like to re-watch it. An excellent watch!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I watched this movie.  Really tugged at my heart.  I like to think this would be true.  Breaks my heart though. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66, hi!

I haven't seen this yet but I plan to, on Veteran's Day.

There's also the HBO documentary "Section 60," which I watch every Memorial Day.  It consists of footage of Gold Star families visiting graves in section 60 of Arlington Cemetery, where those killed in Iraq and Afghanistan are buried, the most recent deaths in Arlington Cemetery.

There's no narration.  They capture a number of people as they go to the graves of their loved ones and how they bond and care for one another.  So many of the widows are so young.  Many of the children don't remember their parent.  And then there are the heartbroken parents, brothers, friends, a man drinking beer on a loved one's grave, an annual ritual, and we see fellow soldiers paying respect to their lost comrades.

It shows all kinds of families and other loved ones.  It doesn't go into depth about any of them but what makes it so powerful for me is the cumulative effect of all those Gold Star families and others who have this part of the cemetery in common, grieving in their own ways and in many cases connecting with others whose loved ones lie in graves nearby.

It's very powerful.It breaks my heart every time I see  it.

I don't know anyone buried in section 60 or Arlington Cemetery for that matter.  There is a memorial with the names of everyone who perished at the Pentagon on 9/11 and the person I know who was on that plane is listed on there.  It contains people's remains but there were no remains of him so he's just a name on the marker.

I recommend section 60 to everyone.  I understand contracts are limiting but I always wish HBO would find a way to make it available to everyone  on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day.

Respected Contributor

Yes--it was a wonderful movie.  So well done and so powerful.  It was 90 minutes long and I cried 89 minutes of it.