Honored Contributor

Has Anyone Been Watching Dr. Phil (Monday & Tuesday - 2&3 May 2016)

This is unbelievable!  This grandma has sent over $70 thousand dollars to some person in another country just by conversing via the internet!

Are there really people that stupid?  OK, so is she suppose to be lonely?  How much can he do for her via the internet?  I think she's just ignorant (I'm sorry, I don't usually say that about someone, but this is totally crazy).

Her family called Dr. Phil and told him about this.  I guess I should feel sorry for her but with most people, their family knows best (especially since these family members have nothing to gain and are educated).

http://www.drphil.com/show_main/

Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Been Watching Dr. Phil (Monday & Tuesday - 2&3 May 2016)

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:
Are there really people that stupid?

YUP!  More than you think.  Dateline has done numerous stories on people that have been bamboozled. 

The ones who appeared on air were mostly middle aged highly educated people - males & females.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I watched the second half of the show today.  I wondered how much money she had sent him.  I'm not surprised it was $70,000.  I've seen stories like this before and am always so surprised that people can be so taken in by someone over the internet.  I am glad Dr. Phil convinced her to cut off all contact with him.  I hope she went straight to her cell phone provider after the show and had her number changed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack It was really good he got the guy on the air so she could see for herself because otherwise, I think she'd still have been in contact with him.

So, I don't understand.  Can they do something with this person?  I guess they'll never find him or her (might be female).

Why would someone do this?  I guess something is missing in her life although she has a loving family.

I know people (a surprising number of people) who have had information hacked (some more than once).

Guess what?  Some of these people have done everything so that it wouldn't happen, and it did.

Respected Contributor

.His show is coming on here right now (4:00).  Maybe I'll watch this one for a while.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was over $70,000 in money transfers, meaning she was laundering money for him through her bank.  Only $5,000 or so was money she gave him and was out of her pocket.  She said she wasn't rich.

As I watched it, I kept wondering if I could ever get that lonely and stupid.  So sad,

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

Was the guy a Nigerian prince?Man Surprised

What is it with women who MUST have a man in their lives and will believe anything???

Women like that need to remember that denial is not a river in Egypt.....

Honored Contributor

Yes! People are that stupid...lol.  They beg to be taken advantage off.  They adk for it.  I have no sympathy for them either.  Lonliness is no excuse.  Being desperste for msn, even an internet man is no excuse.  I behavec so foolishly, I wouldn't  anyone to know.  I'd be humiliated.   I cannot even imagine giving even $10 to my cyber boyfriend who deep inside I must know is just a jerk looking for money.  Some version of this has always existed but it was a real man pretending to be something he wasn't....

Not words on screen.

Respected Contributor

It is unbelievable that someone could be that gullible. All I thought after seeing her was that I wonder if they are not in their right mind due to grieving. It seems that many of these people have just lost a spouse after many, many years. A very sad story. 

Honored Contributor

I saw most of yesterday's episode. Shocking, and a shame that it happened.