Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anybody Stopped Watching Soap Operas?

I miss the colonade room, and fancy clothes and jewels.

Now, they're all shopping at the Goodwill and hair is a mess on Y&R

although Nicki was working it fri in her blue sparkly dress. her and Victor

had to eat cold cuts once folks all went home no dinner was served

Valued Contributor

Last week an old friend & I visited and she recommended a show on PBS- A Place to Call Home- said it sort of bordered on soap opera. I tried it once(so far) and it was sort of disturbing to me.I thought Downton Abbey was that way sometimes. In the 80s I really enjoyed Y & R. Am I’m getting picky or crabby? LOL
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 

Same here.  I watched AMC from day one and when it left the air, so did I.   That was really the only soap opera I watched.   Bits and pieces of others now and then but only followed AMC.

I didn't know any of them were still on TV.  

Super Contributor

My goodness I think I watched every soap that has been on tv.  To name a few lol. AMC, GL, Y&R B&B, OLTL, GH, Edge of Night, Love of Life, Secret Storm, The Doctors, Santa Barbara, Search for Tomorrow, Capitol, Love is a many Splendored Thing,Young Dr Malone,  For those who think young, The Young marrieds,Dark Shadows....oh my goodness I can't remember the rest but if it was on I watched.  I'll take soaps any day over talk shows but that's just me.Heart

Super Contributor

@Reever--Funny story--Back in thr 60's I used to watch As the World Turns. I was a military wife and we were stationed in Germany and of course couldn't get it on our TV which only had German stations. But a group of us went on a tour of the Greek islands for a week and one night at dinner we were all talking about people on the soap opera. One of the women finally asked us how we all knew the same people. 

So one woman explained that her Mom taped the audio of every show and sent her the tapes each week and she was bringing us all up to date on everything going on. 

Haven't watched soaps since.

Honored Contributor

It's all I can do to watch Y&R and that's because I sit down long enough to watch during lunch.

Dr. Phil I'm working on dinner at 3 he has to eat at 4 since he goes to bed at 8. I check in here in between chores and see who's snarking me LOL 

I go off the clock at 6 and rest of night is mine.