Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anybody Stopped Watching Soap Operas?

@Anonymous032819   You'll find a large grouping of us here who talk & speculate about the soaps that are currently on. You'll find the chatter in the tv & movies category with the titles of each soap if you care to read/follow.

I do watch soaps still, always have. I remember growing up watching very old soaps with my mom & grand mother - The Edge of Night and The Secret Storm. This was way back in the 1960s, these were on for many many years.

Currently I got into watching Y&R, B&B, and I've been a fan of GH for years.

Honored Contributor

Are there any left?

I used to watch All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't watched Soaps since the mid 1980's.  My favorite ones were All My Children, One Life to Live and General Hospital.  I know so many of them have been cancelled and didn't even realize there were any still being aired.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Yep, I stopped watching soaps many years ago. My last one was GH. I never cared for Sonny, Carly, Jason story line. Then it just started getting stupid and weak writing. Lost interest. I find better things to do with my time.

Respected Contributor

I used to watch most of them but my favorites were:

Days Of Our Lives

Another World

Ryan's Hope

All My Children

I even remember watching "The Doctors" along with my mother when I was a teenager.

I now watch Young & The Restless and B&B.   But I'm not as hooked on them as I once was.    If I miss an episode it's not a big deal.   Years ago I always had my VCR set up to record them while I was at work and then I would watch them in the evenings.  

I still have two of them set on my DVR, but some days, If I'm not home to watch them live, I will just delete them without even watching.

I sometimes think I watch them more out of habit than out of enjoyment.   As others have mentioned, they aren't written the same way as the the Soaps of the past.  

Honored Contributor

So nice to see Victor and Nicki still in love.

Thru thick and thin they endure.

Honored Contributor

Maybe the title should actually be Does Anybody Still Watch Soap Operas?

I started in my teens with The Young & The Restless.  My mother always had the TV on As the World Turns, The Guiding Light, and I'm not sure what other ones, but she didn't sit and watch them.  She was always busy doing other things, and Daddy came home for lunch every day.  But, she could hear the in the background and keep up with them.

When I went to college, I still managed to kinda keep up with TY&TR due to my schedule.  When I started working I had to give it up though.  It was before the days of VCR's.  I would often watch on holidays though and feel like I hadn't missed a lot of the action.  Then, Knotts Landing became my Soap because I could watch that at night.  

For many years I didn't watch any of the daytime Soaps.  I'm sure a lot of nightime shows could actually be categorized as a Soap, but I can't think of any that had my attention after Knotts Landing went off the air.  Then, after I stopped working I got hooked again by Days of Our Lives.  I do still watch that one.  The storylines are stupid, and I do have a group that I can discuss it on, but not the one here.  I prefer a group that doesn't have the Spoilers.  Where I go there is a specific place for Spoilers, but not on the page where I participate.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819   When I got married 50 yrs. ago we got 1 channel (boondocks) so I started watching them.  I think CBS.  Stopped a few years later when kids were old enough and I went to work.

My Mom watched Days of Our Lives and loved Julie. Nagged me to death to name daughter Julie.  No, No, and No.

Respected Contributor

Have not stopped completely. Only watch YR and not that much since no longer carried on PoP Network. Used to watch every evening at 7:00pm. On Demand is not current so don’t bother checking anymore. When I record myself, very rarely watch it. I watch enough clips on various social media platforms to keep track of what is significant. Even though YR is popular pretty much world wide, don’t find it as interesting as I once did.
Honored Contributor

Been watching Days since its inception in 1965, it is just a part of my day, I will be with it until it leaves the airways.