Respected Contributor

I watched this movie on Demand at TCM yesterday afternoon.  It was filmed approx. 1980 and starred Art Carney as Harry and orange kittykat as Tonto.  I really njoyed this film.

It is character based so if you're into action and excitement it's probably not the right movie for you.  However, if you are a kittykat lover, you might enjoy it.  Tells the story of an elderly man and his kat, getting forced from their NYC apartment because their building was sold to put in a parking garage.  So they begin an adventure together to start a new life from East coast to West coast, meet some interesting characters on the way and make some unplanned side-trips.

I highly recommend this movie if you have the time.  If your real sentimental you might  keep a tissue or two handy but all in all it's a positive story featuring a lot of folks (old and young) just trying to live life.  Cat Happy

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor
There's a blast from the past! What a great movie. Art Carney had said that it turned him into a "cat person" lol.

It's a poignant movie. One of my all-time favorite movie scenes is in this one's final scene, after Tonto dies, when Harry spots an orange cat that looks like him, and he runs after it (in slo mo effect), with a beautiful smile on his face.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor
This is what spoilers are for.
Spoiler
It's a poignant movie. One of my all-time favorite movie scenes is in this one's final scene, after Tonto dies, when Harry spots an orange cat that looks like him, and he runs after it (in slo mo effect), with a beautiful smile on his face.

Respected Contributor
Give me a very large break @x Hedge. Harry and Tonto is an almost 50-year old movie. I'd wager that almost everyone who intends to, has already seen it. Moreover, that scene is simply the final scene, which has no import on the theme, plot, denouement or direction of the movie; it was poignant to me, and not a critical part of the movie, simply because it's at the end 😉. It "spoiled" nothing. But feel free to go back and scold posters who mentioned (or who mention in the future) critical elements of OTHER movies--elements which appeared throughout those movies. I'll be looking for that.

P.S. The ship sank.

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady 

My reply was a general comment for this forum, where spoilers are frequently used. I didn't employ a @notification directing to you.

(That was a "scolding"?)

I've probably started watching that movie a dozen times. I intend to watch it through to the end, but never do.

I find it dull and too slowly paced to hold my interest to the end, but I enjoy Art Carney's work, which is why I've kept trying.

Valued Contributor

Art Carney was so great in this movie!  I remember another character based movie like this with Richard Farnsworth as a senior who rode a tractor a long distance to visit his sick. brother. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hubby and I saw it when it was in the theater ......loved the movie

Esteemed Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I watched this movie on Demand at TCM yesterday afternoon.  It was filmed approx. 1980 and starred Art Carney as Harry and orange kittykat as Tonto.  I really njoyed this film.

It is character based so if you're into action and excitement it's probably not the right movie for you.  However, if you are a kittykat lover, you might enjoy it.  Tells the story of an elderly man and his kat, getting forced from their NYC apartment because their building was sold to put in a parking garage.  So they begin an adventure together to start a new life from East coast to West coast, meet some interesting characters on the way and make some unplanned side-trips.

I highly recommend this movie if you have the time.  If your real sentimental you might  keep a tissue or two handy but all in all it's a positive story featuring a lot of folks (old and young) just trying to live life.  Cat Happy

@jellyBEAN , 

I hadn't seen it but my husband did last night. he raved about it.

I had no idea how old this was, but it could have been recently,

....and -still 'my' husband thought

[ it ] being one of the BEST... anything lately,

he had viewed. 

Thank you for writing about it. 

NAES  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Harry and Tonto

[ Edited ]

It was filmed in 1974, also stars Ellen Burstyn as Harrys daughter, and a very young Melanie Mayron who went on to be in Thirtysomething as Melissa Steadman. 

Honored Contributor

I am sorry I missed it. I just looked and it is not listed under the Watch TCM movies. BUT I saw several other movies that I missed. So have to keep my eye out for it.

Thanks for the recommendation.