Respected Contributor

I just saw this movie about Harriet Tubman today. It was well-acted, touching and educational. I was never taught about her in school, only learning about her as an adult. I hope children in school are taught about her and other notable people of color. I am sad she is not getting her picture on the $20 bill as originally planned.

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I just saw this movie about Harriet Tubman today. It was well-acted, touching and educational. I was never taught about her in school, only learning about her as an adult. I hope children in school are taught about her and other notable people of color. I am sad she is not getting her picture on the $20 bill as originally planned.

I can't remember the name of the show I saw when I was little in the 60's and they did different segments of  shows about history.  Harriet Tubman was one of those shows (once again older tv ahead of its time) Anyway it was so interesting.  I do remember she use to pass out but she would be fine when she woke up.  I just heard on NPR while driving today that it was caused by a head injury suffered when she was younger.  I am so happy they made a movie about this brave woman.  Women are the ones who are stepping up now and they were stepping up back then.  So glad her story is being told on the big screen.

Honored Contributor

There are so many women who contributed to society in positive ways.  I am glad Harriet Tubman is being honored as she certainly has her place in history.  Her courage and compassion, her determination to do what was right and just , all make her a role model.  And yes, she belongs on the twenty dollar bill without a doubt.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 

that show might have been "YOU ARE THERE."

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Some of you might be interested in the new book by Hillary and Chelsea Clinton:  "The Book of Gutsy Women".

It's a series of vignettes of women who have done amazing things, often against the odds and with little recognition.  Harriet Tubman is included, along with many others.

Respected Contributor

I have seen clips of this movie and really caught my interest, the clips alone should be oscar worthy so happy that we are aware of what went on. This is a must see movie for all. Glad you enjoyed it and we all need to learn. Not everything was taught in history class. 

Respected Contributor

"A Woman Called Moses" (1978) was a movie about the life of Harriet Tubman. Veteran actress, Cicely Tyson played the title role.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine 919 

that show might have been "YOU ARE THERE."

It might be,  I remember it had a strong theme song I do remember that and I believe it was on on Fridays.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I saw a preview of this just yesterday.  I am going to go, it looks fabulous.  What an interesting story.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~