Trusted Contributor

I know I will miss him😢 

Honored Contributor
Howard Kurtz, the TV commentator at Foxnews has an interesting column about the retirement which has been known to be coming at some point on the future. Kurtz made the point that for Matthews, such a political junkie, to make his exit the day before the Super Tuesday primaries, instead of after them or even at the end of this week, leads one to believe Matthews was not in control of the timing of it.
Respected Contributor

Re: Hardball Is Over

[ Edited ]

I will miss him but his mistakes are not what I think this country is willing to tolerate any longer.  I had lately noticed his inability to contain his personal bias.  He learned some wrong ideas on how to treat women from years ago when such behaviors were thought to be okay.  Well, they aren't okay.  He'll write books and find some ways to stay active in his love of politics.  I hope he's replaced with someone who, like him, keeps the question alive until it is answered.  That was my favoite aspect of watching his show, he wouldn't let a guest off easy.

Respected Contributor

Chris was a wealth of knowledge in the political arena.  From his days as an aide to Tip O'Neill to the present he has been on the front lines in DC for years.

I appreciated his knowledge and take on things and sorry his run is ending as it is. 

I would love to see Michael Steele or Steve Schmidt take over in the time slot. 

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Howard Kurtz, the TV commentator at Foxnews has an interesting column about the retirement which has been known to be coming at some point on the future. Kurtz made the point that for Matthews, such a political junkie, to make his exit the day before the Super Tuesday primaries, instead of after them or even at the end of this week, leads one to believe Matthews was not in control of the timing of it.

Is that the Howard Kurtz who when he was media commentator on CNN said horrible things about Fox, then went to Fox where he says horrible things about MSNBC and CNN?

As a very famous one said when he was about to be sued, "I'm just an entertainer, not a journalist."

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I enjoyed Hardball years ago but for the past few years I wished that he would move on.  I hope Nicole Wallace gets his spot and how about Shep Smith for Nicole's present time slot 🙂

Steve Kornacki was taken by surprise and spoke very warmly, tearing up, about Matthews.

Is Shep Smith's year up?  Fox makes everyone sign a non-compete for a full year and it seems like it hasn't been.

Also worried Shep, though he's completely different, may be passed over because of the Megan Kelly debacle, fear of hiring anyone from Fox?

Shep is such a great newsreader.  I had no idea until I watched the miniseries on Roger Ailes, "The Loudest Voice," that he was there on day one on Fox -- and covered 9/11, at first wtih a handheld camera.

Not sure he could be a commentator, although he's shown lots of signs of wanting to say stuff LOL.

I hope they promote from within. 

Katy Tur would be my first choice.  I prefer when she does Meet the Press.

Honored Contributor

Whoops, forgot to say how sad I am about Chris.  But apparently recently he's gone in the makeup room and made comments.  So he had to go.

He's brilliant and I think he interrupted because his mind works faster than most guests'.  That he worked for Tip O'Neill in the last days when the two parties cooperated, we're going to miss all that history and everything else he knows, which is everything.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hardball Is Over

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

Chris Matthews retired tonight.

I have only watched him  a couple of times, but last night, John Oliver had an entire segment of video clips showing Chris Matthews having trouble saying his sign off lines from many shows. Maybe something neurological is going on. Now I think Oliver was was very hard on the man, but Oliver and his team  had no way of knowing if anything is up with Matthews when they shot their episode. 

Mr Matthews illness, absences, and treatments have been discussed publicly many times, including on his show.   Easily accessed in the University of Google.  Mr. Oliver knew & team knew.   

I don't think they would deliberately make fun of any human's serious illness. Just my opinion. 

@Mindy D 

My response was to your statement that “Oliver and his team had no way of knowing if anything is (sic) up with Matthews when they shot their episode.”

My point: There were many ways to have known, readily available.

I do not presume to know about Mr. Oliver’s intentions.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I totally agree. These Horse Races are his absolute favorite time to be On Air.

I watched him faithfully through the Bush/Obama years, but stopped watching ALL POLITICAL programs since D’John was elected.

Chris always spoke at 90mph. and interrupted constantly, but his enthusiasm was genuine .

His latest Gaff (re: Sanders victory, watch on youtube) seemed to

give MSNBC a reason to “suggest retirement”.

But couldn’t they wait until AFTER SUPER TUESDAY!?

Super Tuesday won’t be the same w/o Chris commenting and keeping score.

BEST WISHES TO CHRIS for his future and health.

Respected Contributor

not sorry to see him go. let's hope the next person will not scream, at the camera and will have a more balanced approach. this is a totally biased station.

they should clean house and send a couple of others packing, too.