Respected Contributor

Chris Matthews retired tonight.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hardball Is Over

[ Edited ]

I watch MSNBC and CNN. Can't say that I will miss Christ Matthews. I thought he liked the sound of his own voice so much that he was probably THE rudest host to his guests. He would ask one of them a question and then would not let them speak. Very annoying. So buh bye, Chris. Have a great retirement. I don't know what trouble he has been in lately as I have not watched his show in months and months.

Trusted Contributor

Chris is a genius at politics, I watched him often and yeah, he made mistakes but overall, he was interesting and a good man. He grew old and didn't change with the times. It seems funny because I feel like I've lost a friend, somebody I watched every night.

Regular Contributor

Chris has had several issues lately, one is a significant metoo.

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon   I watch him every night.  I wish him and his family all the best.  He has a passion for politics and is relentless in pursuing answers that matter.

Old school reporting of his generation is out of style, but quality journalism never really dies.  Cheers for the Fouth Estate in this country!

aroc3435

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KarenQVC wrote:

Chris Matthews retired tonight.

I have only watched him  a couple of times, but last night, John Oliver had an entire segment of video clips showing Chris Matthews having trouble saying his sign off lines from many shows. Maybe something neurological is going on. Now I think Oliver was was very hard on the man, but Oliver and his team  had no way of knowing if anything is up with Matthews when they shot their episode. 

Contributor

I am sad to see him leave, especially like this.

Respected Contributor

I will miss Chris deeply, and I wish him a happy and healthy retirement!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wishmoon 

I too liked Chris and have watched him for years.  His wife was a local TV broadcaster in the DC area for many years.  She was always delightful.

I worked in politics on Capitol Hill and in the White House when I was young.  Chris reminded me of the "older" men I came in contact with.  It was another time, and we (meaning the young woman) used to brush off their comments or talk back when we felt it went over the line.  I'm not saying it was right, but...it was just how it was then.

Not defending any of them....but I understand how it was because I lived it.

That doesn't take away from his skill and understanding of the political world.  I think you either love it or hate it, an I've done both.

I wish him and his family well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mr Matthews has been receiving cancer treatment for a good while. In consideration of the recent outpouring given here in a very similar, occurrence, I sincerely hope there will be respect, or silence raised up.

I admired his journalistic style, and passion.  

I myself speak passionately on occasion.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras