Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday Sidney Poitier 93 yrs old Feb. 20th

I am as much in awe of Sidney Poitier as a person as I am of him as an actor.

Such innate dignity.  I sense a strong moral compass and a keen sense of what is right and proper. 

Why I feel these things, I truly don't know -- I just do.  I respect him immensely.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee 

Ms. Pearley, I NEVER knew Katherine Houghton was Katherine Hepburn's real-life niece! Thank you for this interesting tidbit. I have seen Guess Who's Coming to Dinner about 10 times at different stages in my life, and, since it was filmed in San Francisco, it always intrigues me to see the real-life locations like the drive-in hamburger spot.

Yes, Houghton's character WAS bossy and spoiled! Too funny. I love Spencer T's speech at the end - he nailed all the complexities of life and human connections in one stirring speech.  

Sidney Poitier is 93?! He is a film icon, a treasure, and I love so many of his films mentioned here. He can still make me cry in To Sir With Love! Such a great actor. Happy Birthday, Sir. Heart

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 I agree 100% about Spencer's speech at the end and love how things were resolved. Glad you agree Joey was bossy!
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

Fantastic and beautifully written: "banked fires," and lovely reference to Jimmy Stewart's famous cinematic line to Katherine Hepburn, poolside, with her in that Grecian goddess white flowing gown. 

I think you really nailed Poitier's on-screen intensity. He held back, bit his tongue, silently watched and let the tension in a scene build and build and then build some more, until he unleashed his fury with those glorious, righteous speeches he made so famous.

That ability to hold back and bank those fires is really a skill...I love watching his slow deliberate simmer. He makes you wait...and then wait...and then wait some more.

And finally, his eyes dart back and forth, and he shakes his head and then a flash of that stunning smile and then whoa - watch out! "They call me MISTER TIBBS!"

Such a brilliant actor!

Happy Birthday! I have watched Sidney Poitier and adored him my entire life.

"How do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume??" 

Honored Contributor

Happy 93rd Birthday to Sidney Poitier! A mighty fine actor he was and still is. Loved many of his films!!!!! He is a remarkable, gifted & talented man. I think it might have been for his 90th birthday, I saw a beautiful photo of his whole family, children, grandchildren, wife, and even his ex wife, it was just beautiful!

Honored Contributor

Brilliant actor, and still so handsome!!

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN. You say he is still a good actor. Is he still acting at age 93? Didn't know that if so, although since the queen is still working maybe he is too?
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee   thank you for adding "Happy Birthday" to your title rather than just Mr. Poitier's name. Knowing he has reached his 90s and seeing just his name would have lead people {at least me} to suspect the worse before opening your thread. Thank you for that consideration.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@CANDLEQUEEN. You say he is still a good actor. Is he still acting at age 93? Didn't know that if so, although since the queen is still working maybe he is too?

@Pearlee . I didn't want to say was a good actor, that may have made someone think he was no longer living, but to my knowledge he isn't actively acting any longer.

Honored Contributor

Image result for Sidney Poitiers 90th birthday family photo