Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday Sidney Poitier 93 yrs old Feb. 20th

A great actor who has been in some great films.  May you have many more birthdays.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday Sidney Poitier 93 yrs old Feb. 20th

Lilies of the Field, Blackboard Jungle, A Raisin in the Sun, one of my favorites, Patch of Blue, and the list goes on and on of wonderful movies Sidney Poitier has been in.  He has contributed so much to the entertainment world and I salute him on his birthday for a job well done!  Happy Birthday and thank you for your fine work and being a man of dignity and class.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I saw Guess Who's Coming To Dinner not too long ago on TV and it was so dated!   Poitier was great in it, as always, but boy how times have changed.  I remember I saw it when it first came out in the late 1960s at the movie theater and there was nothing about it dated back then.  It was quite a controversial film at the time.    

Even back then, I don't know why the Poitier character let the female lead Katharine Houghton (Kathryn Hepburn's real life niece) be so bossy. Her character has always really put me off and I don't know why Poitier's character kept giving in to her in the film (the screenwriter's doing, not Poitier's.)   Loved Poitier's character.

houghton.jfif

Esteemed Contributor

I watch it so many times and each time I say the same thing in my head that it's so dated but I love that movie.

Love Sidney Poitier in To Sir With Love too.

Trusted Contributor

I

@Pearlee wrote:

I saw Guess Who's Coming To Dinner not too long ago on TV and it was so dated!   Poitier was great in it, as always, but boy how times have changed.  I remember I saw it when it first came out in the late 1960s at the movie theater and there was nothing about it dated back then.  It was quite a controversial film at the time.    

Even back then, I don't know why the Poitier character let the female lead Katharine Houghton (Kathryn Hepburn's real life niece) be so bossy. Her character has always really put me off and I don't know why Poitier's character kept giving in to her in the film (the screenwriter's doing, not Poitier's.)   Loved Poitier's character.

houghton.jfif

I don't  think her character  was meant to be bossy, it was to show how independant and free she was for a woman back then. Her mother, ( katherine Hepburn) made a point in the film about how fun spirited "joey" was. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am 52 years old, but I remember watching Lilies of the Field so many times with my grandmother on tv.

Honored Contributor

Good bless him, he is a great actor. May he have more Happy Birthdays.

Esteemed Contributor

An old school movie star with class ⭐️!! "To Sir With Love", Happy Birthday🎂. 93 never looked so good!!

Honored Contributor

Hard to believe irreplaceable Sidney Poitier is 93.  Happy birthday!  What a salutary impact he had on films.  The intensity and the banked fires of his personality made for such an interesting tension in those early, attention-getting performances.

And from a social impact standpoint, it must have been electrifying for black audiences at that point in history especially, to see a leading man of his caliber, confidently commanding every scene in which he appeared.  "In the Heat of the Night" was a tour de force for both him and Rod Steiger...

Honored Contributor

@willomenia It bothered me that she just steamrolled over Poitier's wishes / concerns. She came across to me as selfish and insensitive rather than spirited but I "get" your point. Maybe it was just clumsily handled in the script.