Honored Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday Bob Newhart

Most recently he had a reoccurring role as Dr Proton on Big Bang Theory. He passed on the show and came back as Sheldon's advisor in dreams dressed as Obi One.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Oznellthat was my fave of the two shows also and I give a lot of credit to the second show's final one, the waking up from a dream one which was brilliant.

Was Mr. Carlin actor Jack Riley? Too lazy to Google it.

Yup.  Anoither classic character actor was John Fiedler as Mr. Peterson.

Wow, surprised to see how many love "In & Out".  IMHO, Joan Cusack was robbed of her Oscar.  Her scene in the bar in her wedding gown makes me smile just thinking of it.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Absolutely one of my favorite actors; love watching him in any role he’s ever had.   

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's it-- Jack Riley--  couldn't think of his name!

Respected Contributor

@Pearleeand all you others, I forgot that Decades TV is doing a Bob Newhart marathon this weekend. Sat. they are airing his sitcom, "Bob" , where he plays a cartoonist for super hero Mad Dog, and Sun. they are airing Newhart. "Bob" only ran for one season.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Absolutely one of my favorite actors; love watching him in any role he’s ever had.   

@RedTop   Who?  Can't tell which actor you mean since a few have been discussed above your post.

Honored Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:
@Oznellthat was my fave of the two shows also and I give a lot of credit to the second show's final one, the waking up from a dream one which was brilliant.

Yup.  Anoither classic character actor was John Fiedler as Mr. Peterson.

Wow, surprised to see how many love "In & Out".  IMHO, Joan Cusack was robbed of her Oscar.  Her scene in the bar in her wedding gown makes me smile just thinking of it.

One of my favorite funny movie lines is when, at the altar to take their wedding vows,  instead of saying "I do,", Kevin Kline says, "I'm gay" and Joan C.  screams, "You couldn't have told me before?"

She was so great in that role.  The scene where all the "old ladies" (including Debbie Reynolds made up to look older) were making confessions was also quite funny, esp. about the husband of one of them.

@CANDLEQUEEN  - Good guess on the age of In and Out.  I looked on Imdb and it's from 1997, so 22 yrs. ago.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Pearley - yes, Jack Riley was Mr Carlin. And sadly he died in August, 2016.

Honored Contributor

I wish him a very Happy Birthday, good health and happiness for all the fun he brought to TV and stand up comedy.  I have his albums, Button Down Mind Of Bob Newhart is one.  They are so funny, he does different skits and I remember  having good laughs listening to them.  Great guy and comedian.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw   I remember that album; my family had it.

@drizzellla   Yes, I knew Riley had passed away fairly recently but thanks for mentioning it because some here may not have known.