Honored Contributor
90 years old today. Thanks for all the laughs from your two TV shows which I watched and for the deadpan humor of your standup comedy routines that were family friendly and not raunchy. A very funny man.

Respected Contributor

Re: Happy Birthday Bob Newhart

I always loved both of the Bob Newhart shows.  He is truly one of the greats!  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Happy Birthday Mr. Newhart!

@Pearlee   thank you for putting "Happy BD" in the title. It you had simply written "Bob Newhart", I would have thought the worse.This is so much better. 

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Honored Contributor

He is super funny. I loved him in that movie called In and Out, starring Kevin Kline and Tom Selleck, it was hilarious! Bob Newhart played the school principal!

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN I love that film and watch it every time I see it on cable now. The entire cast is excellent esp Klein and Joan Cusack. They could never have made that film today ....too many politically incorrect lines in it, which happen to be very funny.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@CANDLEQUEENI love that film and watch it every time I see it on cable now. The entire cast is excellent esp Klein and Joan Cusack. They could never have made that film today ....too many politically incorrect lines in it, which happen to be very funny.

@Pearlee . Yes, me too. I have probably seen it about 10 times, it is so funny and the cast was superb. You are absolutely correct, I believe it is probably about 20 years old or so now....... 

Respected Contributor

Love him in both shows but especially the Bob newhart show. Also, he was the best in the movie "Cold Turkey" with ****** Van D*ke.I'll be watching both shows later On Decade's TV.

Honored Contributor

I had not heard much from him lately... I had thought he passed... Hope he is doing well!

Honored Contributor

So subtle, funny, master of the double take; the deadpan, as you say, @Pearlee; and the hilarious "slow blink";  while he digests information!

My favorite is the original Bob Newhart show, where he is the fulcrum of (relative) sanity, around which various nutsos orbit.  His scenes with Bill Dailey, ("Howard Borden", neighbor and navigator) and with "Mr. Carlin",  his paranoid, perpetually hostile patient, are priceless. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell that was my fave of the two shows also and I give a lot of credit to the second show's final one, the waking up from a dream one which was brilliant.

Was Mr. Carlin actor Jack Riley? Too lazy to Google it.