Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happy 77th Birthday to Liza Minnelli

The last time I saw her anywhere was at the 2022 Oscars. She came out in a wheelchair, and Lady Gaga had to help her with the presentation. She appeared to be rather confused.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

ImageLiza Minnelli made a surprise appearance.

Lady Gaga and Liza Minnelli present the award for best picture at the Oscars on Sunday, March 27, 2022, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles. 

Lady Gaga, left, and Liza Minnelli

Esteemed Contributor

I was aware Liza was turning 77 this year, but I think she looks older.  Probably due to her health issues.  Just for comparison, Dolly Parton, Sally Field, Cher, and three former Presidents (GWB, BC, and DT) were born in 1946.  I hope she had a very nice birthday.

Esteemed Contributor

She has such beautiful eyes and was a stunning baby. She could really sing back in the  day. I used to love her version of "God Bless the Child." Glad she is still around despite it all.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Anyone know what medical condition has her in a wheelchair?  

Respected Contributor

(Taken from several sources)

Liza Minnelli's 2022 Oscars appearance..

The internet lauded Lady Gaga for her “grace” and “poise” when working with a seemingly-confused Minnelli — but what fans didn't know is that Liza Minnelli was allegedly extremely unhappy with the segment. Not upset with Lady Gaga, but upset with the producers.

According to Mlnnelli's longtime collaborator, Michael Feinstein, the actress felt like she had been “sabotaged” by producers in order to gain more views.

She had requested to sit in a director's chair during the segment, which producers agreed to, but at the last minute, they had told her she would be using a wheelchair.

“She was sabotaged,” Feinstein said on an episode of the SiriusXM program, The Jess Cagle Show. “That's a terrible word to use, but she only agreed to appear on the Oscars if she would be in the director's chair, because she's been having back trouble."

She said, "I don't want people to see me limping out there." She said, "You know, I want to look good. I don't want people to worry about me."...

Liza Minnelli has had to use a wheelchair off-and-on for nearly two decades. The largest reason that Minnelli has seen such a decline in her health is a small, yet extremely dangerous source: a mosquito bite. 

Though she had a bevy of hip and back issues, things took a turn for the worse.

In 2000, Minnelli was hospitalized in Florida for what was thought to be a stroke, but when doctors did more tests, it was revealed that the actress had contracted viral encephalitis, a disorder that causes swelling, fluid, and inflammation in the brain, likely from a diseased mosquito that had bitten her while in Florida.

Encephalitis affects the brain, it can cause seizures, aphasia, perception issues, and more, and doctors advised Minnelli to use a wheelchair, possibly for the rest of her life. 

The legendary singer was diagnosed with viral encephalitis in 2000 and is seen here in a wheelchair in 2003 with husband David Gest

The legendary singer was diagnosed with viral encephalitis in 2000 and is seen here in a wheelchair in 2003 with husband David Gest.