Honored Contributor

Re: Hand in Hand? Who's watching? Who's giving?

Last week I donated to the American Red Cross and also donated to Hand In Hand. I am suspicious by nature and mailed them a check rather than texting, calling, or donating online. I did think $25 was a lot to text, usually other telethons have put a $10 price tag on the texting. Some people can't afford $25 and maybe didn't donate.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't watch , but a close friend did and told me that it got political and she turned it off . I thought it would so that's why I didn't watch it.  I choose to give on my own and to make the choice as to which charity I wanted to donate to.  I do hope all the money gets to the people and animals that need it .  Always weary of these types of shows with celebrities.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I donate directly to those rescuing animals. There were breed rescue groups who, on their own, transported shelter animals out of the area before the storm to free up space for those needing shelter during and after it. I don't want my money going to pay the salaries of administrators. 

@occasionalrain. ITA

Trusted Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I didn't watch , but a close friend did and told me that it got political and she turned it off . I thought it would so that's why I didn't watch it.  I choose to give on my own and to make the choice as to which charity I wanted to donate to.  I do hope all the money gets to the people and animals that need it .  Always weary of these types of shows with celebrities.

@Kitty Galore  I was reading the comments on TMZ's website last night and quite a few posters talked about the political talk possibly turning people off and keeping them from donating.  I think it's a shame it happened like that because who knows how many more people felt like your friend and didn't donate because of it.  Of course, there are other ways to donate, so hopefully the people who tuned out chose to do that.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

In case anybody is still reading this thread....I watched every minute of this special program. There was absolutely NO political talk or commentary. It's always surprising (almost amusing) at how some folks can take the most noble of actions and try their hardest to put some kind of negative slant on it. How unpleasant it would be to actually live ones life like that! 🙏

Frequent Contributor

Of course it was political! Are you sure you were watching the same program! I decided not to give because of people like you and will donate to the cause I want to give to!

Respected Contributor

Hand to Hand raised over 44 million for relief to the hurricane victims. If it WAS political, let those of other opinions raise the same for the victims. Imagine how much help that would be.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Goldengate8361 wrote:

In case anybody is still reading this thread....I watched every minute of this special program. There was absolutely NO political talk or commentary. It's always surprising (almost amusing) at how some folks can take the most noble of actions and try their hardest to put some kind of negative slant on it. How unpleasant it would be to actually live ones life like that! 🙏

I didn't think it was political.   There were celebrities who are known to be on all "sides" of the fence and some who aren't particularly known to lean one way or another.  I don't care for some of the people who were on the show, I do like some of them, and I'm neutral on others.   None of that had any bearing on my desire to see the entire presentation and to make decisions about helping those in need.    I'd hope people would view for themselves without preconceived notions rather than accept what someone told them about a show...  and I wish it weren't true that for some reason we have to color everything political.    These were human beings who didn't have to be there and who already are successful without additional publicity -- and who know, without a doubt, that by being there some people might praise them but certainly some people will bash them.

In addition, as we've seen on other threads, celebrities are vilified if they let it be known they donated their own money -- and vilified if they're silent (as if that proves they gave nothing).    It's so subjective.   Why must we take every opportunity to pit one "side" against another?   Why in the world do we have to pick apart everything and seek out negativity, real or imagined?

No good deed goes unpunished.   This is another example of that.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I don't understand why people criticize this program as political. They are parroting TV talking heads. I can remember a time when scientific facts weren't considered political.

In any case, there are millions more to help hurricane victims and we should thank everyone who contributed.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Hand to Hand raised over 44 million for relief to the hurricane victims. If it WAS political, let those of other opinions raise the same for the victims. Imagine how much help that would be.

Let's just hope that this money gets to the people and in saks that need it.  In the past these types of fund raising hsve had issues.