Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

coming to baltimore in june......we had our reservations set about a year ago!

looking forward to it.

every show we have seen this broadway season......in by 8 and out by 11 with a 15 minute intermission for all of them.

If I may offer one piece of advice.....listen to the soundtrack first. It makes all the difference. Just MHO. 🎭

Honored Contributor

Read the book is my advice.  Learn a lot about history. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: Hamilton: the Musical

[ Edited ]

Having seen the musical Hamilton last month in San Francisco, I have requested the original book from the library to learn more about the history.  I might consider going again when it comes back to Los Angeles next year. I loved it! I am a woman of a certain age and I was captivated. I cannot stop listening to the soundtrack. I love how the music tells the story in different genres and i think the rap portions are fantastic and energetic and really capture the feel of the characters and what was going on at the time. The SF company was excellent and I would have loved to see the original cast. I am considering tickets to Miss Saigon here in los Angeles but the best seats are already gone. Do not want to be seated too far back or to the side.

Trusted Contributor

@nmurray   

Are you talking about the book of the musical or a different book about Hamilton and the history of the time? 

Trusted Contributor

I saw Hamilton last school year as a chaperone for our junior class.  Once a month a special matinee is put on for high school students only at no cost to the schools.  Our English 11 & Am History teachers coordinated classwork for the students.  And groups had to perform a scene in a special assembly.  

Two of our students performed their scene on stage at Hamilton before the show.  Our junior class was lucky to sit in the 6th row.  There was not a sound (besides clapping) in the theater during the show.  Can you imagine 500 high school students sitting quietly for 3 hours!?Woman LOL

Yes, it's "rap", but certainly not Kayne West type of rap!  

We all loved it.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was fabulous. Saw the traveling company version last year. I agree with the recommendation to download the soundtrack and listen to it many times before going to see it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Frequent Contributor

Hi trenet. I am referring to the book Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow on which the musical was based. I have been listening to the soundtrack of the musical and i would like to read the book - although at 800 pages, it is ambitious!

Honored Contributor

just be aware that it is not totally historically accurate!

saw it about a week and a half ago and it was FANTASTIC! broadway across america is in baltimore for a month. it was a full house and everyone seemed to really enjoy it....lots of clapping, laughter, enthusiasm from the audience during the entire show.

i would definitely go see it again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don't get the hype either!

Not a good use of my time.

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I don't get the hype either!

Not a good use of my time.

How so? If you haven’t seen it how can you say it’s not a good use of your time? Is it the story? Music? Acting? Actors? What don’t you get about the ‘hype’ (whatever that is)?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown