Valued Contributor

I saw Hamilton twice on Broadway and thought it was brilliant.  I do think that it is important to really know the show before seeing it to be able to fully appreciate it.  We listened to the music countless times before going.  I always find it so interesting to hear different opinions on Broadway shows.  One poster preferred The Band's Visit.  I have seen well over 100 shows on Broadway -- and for me that one was at the very bottom.  Disappointing because I was really looking forward to it.  Everybody I know who saw it had the same opinion.  It's good to hear from somebody who liked it!

Trusted Contributor

I absolutely loved the show. I was initially hesitant but information gleaned from a range of sources convinced.  I have been going to theater productions most of my life and I am open to all genres. Not every song was in the  rap genre/format.  I recommend it highly.

Honored Contributor

i guess i better start doing some homework on hamilton before i see it in june. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I saw it in LA in 2017...thought it was the best theatrical show I’ve ever seen.  I did know a lot about it before seeing it.  That helps!  My niece tried to explain the different types of rap music to me.  Not sure she completely succeeded, but to the uninformed...you’ve probably heard rap in the past, and didn’t know it.  And you might have loved it, even if you think you don’t like “rap music”.  

I want to see it again, and will likely do so in NYC, after I move to the East Coast. 

Trusted Contributor

BirkiLady; I saw it in Chicago, too.  Many of the people with talk with at the performance had seen it multiple times.  We saw some of the performers after the show and they graciously posed for pictures.  So exciting!

Trusted Contributor

My post should have been written: Many of the people we talked with at the performance had seen it multiple times.

Respected Contributor

I've been trying for five years to see it.   My BF and I go to NYC every year for a girls trip.  We enter the lottery, stop by to see if there are cancellations and just can't get in.   We aren't willing to spend $400.00 for a ticket.   Maybe we'll get lucky this September when we go again.

I'm not a fan of musicals. I can count on one hand the ones I've liked.  We saw The Band's Visit last year and I was captivated from the get go.  I just loved it.  

My idea of hell is having to sit thru West Side Story or The Sound of Music again.   No way.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hamilton: the Musical

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal  LOL!!  We're seeing West Side Story next month at the Lyric in Chicago and very much looking forward to it.  Tend to agree with you about Sound of Music though!

Good luck with the lottery.  I actually won it twice here in Chicago but gave the second set of tix away.  IMO definitely not worth the full price.

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen it yet but I have seen enough of it on various shows to know that it's not a standard musical.  Yes, the genre is rap.  That's the whole point of the show.  The telling of history and the American Revolution in a very modern genre of music.  

Honored Contributor

We saw it as a family when it first hit Broadway. The original cast was wonderful and so was the music. Not all of it was rap music either.

My daughter has seen it 3 times, that is how much she loved it...