Respected Contributor

I had anticipated seeing this show for a long time. 

Having seen dozens of show on Broadway and traveling casts in other locations, I had Hamilton on my must see list.

We were underwhelmed. To us it was more like an opera in that most if not all the dialogue is sung in rap form. It is not a condemnation of rap as art form. If you like theatre for costumes and production numbers this will disappoint you too. 

It was 2 hours 55 minutes with 15 minute intermission. 

What did you think? 

Honored Contributor

Fortunately, I won the lottery for $10 tix to see Hamilton.  I appreciate the uniqueness of making a musical based on Hamilton's life BUT it is a "rap opera" and rap is not my thing.  Give me Lerner & Lowe, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber with melodies that are hummable.  Very happy I did not pay full price to see this production.

AND it was too long!

Honored Contributor

I like Rap, and loved Hamilton. Different strokes .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Hamilton: the Musical

[ Edited ]

The single most over-rated, over-hyped piece of 'theater' ever. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I didn't know it was rap music.  Well, it's a good thing I didn't buy tickets for my parents.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr  You can go on youtube and listen to the "music."  I did before I went to see the production so I knew what I was in for but for $10 it was worth it!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have been a lover of the musical theater my entire life, but this show has absolutely no appeal to me, dont care for the subject matter or the music. 

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, have seen many musicals (Broadway,London, Vegas and L.A.) and would see Hamilton if it was somewhere somewhat convenient and if it didn't cost hundreds of dollars per ticket.  I think it will eventually show up in an abbreviated form in Vegas; if so, I'll go see it.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine listening to 3 hours of rap, regardless of subject.  Not a fan.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I absolutely loved Hamilton. I found it innovative and inspiring.  I get that it’s not the traditional musical but there will never be another Lerner and Lowe, or Oscar Hammerstein. Theater and music must continually evolve to be relevant in the culture. Thankfully we will always have the classics of the past.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown