Respected Contributor

Hamilton in L A - Talk about Greed

tickets for the show starting in March are in pre-sale :  decent orchestra seats are about $500/   

uh, no.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hamilton in L A - Talk about Greed

It was here in Baltimore for 5 weeks this past summer, I had no interest in seeing it!! Pricey to say the least. 

Honored Contributor

I won the Hamilton "lottery" here in Chicago twice.  Had the opportunity to pay $10 a ticket for seats in the first 2 rows of the orchestra which turned out to be "partial view" but that was OK.  Went once, gave the other 2 tickets away.   IMO $10 was what it was worth.

Respected Contributor

It has been on Broadway for years and seats are still more than $500, and it is always sold out. 

Honored Contributor

If you like the music, buy that.  If you are really interested in Hamilton, read the book.  I read it when it first came out and it is a fascinating and educational read!  

Go to dinner, buy a new dress and shoes for that kind of money. 

Respected Contributor

Well, let's please give the ARTS their due!

So many people pay MUCH, MUCH more for sports tickets.

Artists rarely get to command those sky-high salaries like sports figures.  Who are the greedy ones?

I say, well-deserved to put a real value on the tickets for  high-quality shows created by musicians, singers, dancers, choreographers, and so forth.

Perhaps they will make it into a movie and then everybody can see it!

Honored Contributor

I personally would only see if with the original cast.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

If you like the music, buy that.  If you are really interested in Hamilton, read the book.  I read it when it first came out and it is a fascinating and educational read!  

Go to dinner, buy a new dress and shoes for that kind of money. 

@Sooner i couldn't agree more.  my curiosity doesn't extend that far - and i am not in the mood to enrich the group that has long ago earned back its investment.  as someone famous said, "when is enough enough?""

i can buy 4 primo Nutcracker tickets for that price and spread some joy!

Honored Contributor

Something is worth what people are willing to pay, why pick on the arts ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Granted I have not seen Hamilton but my husband is a head at one of the Broadway theaters.  They get paid by the show, not if the theater is dark.  There was word that Hamilton was coming to his theater and I was not happy!  I couldn't understand the appeal and thought, Oh great, another flop and the theater will be dark again.  Well, I still have no desire to see it but I can eat my words about not wanting it at his theater.  Usually I can tell if something will be a hit (trust me, not as easy as you'd think), but this one, still don't get it! And lucky for them, people are paying these ticket prices to see it.