Occasional Contributor

Re: Halloween Baking Championship

Oh that's a bummer. I missed it this week because I was traveling. I don't like blood and gore either. Sometimes it's just over the top.

Respected Contributor

Even though I'm not into Halloween I do watch this every year. I enjoy John Henson as the host for the past few years.  I also fell asleep though I could have rewound it since I DVRed it and watched it the next day, I didn't rewind.  It was too long even fast forwarding through commercials!

I don't watch Halloween Wars anymore.  To me, it's a lot of bickering and I'm bored.

Did anyone notice that Zac didn't show up until the end of the 2nd judging?  I thought that was weird and not sure if that was planned or what. 

Trusted Contributor

@ everyone
I agree with everything you all have said. The emphasis was so much on blood and gore that the end results were ugly. I DVR every season so I am disappointed that the actual fun in the process seemed to take a backseat to the mutilation theme.

@hopi
I can't remember last season. What was the disaster?
Esteemed Contributor

@Midmod wrote:
@hopi

@Midmod

I was referring to the last Baking Championship.  Molly Yeh hosted, she was all over the place with silly challenges for experienced bakers. Judgges  cut one of the top 2 bakers while 3 awful bakers remained. There was such outrage, they brought the cut baker back.  One of the top bakers refused to do Molly's  childish last rematch challenge and walked off. The show had a weird agenda about keeping bad cooks with stories.... very bad shows.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally managed to watch the start of this season.  Loving it!!!  Always been a fan of the show because I love Halloween.  I can truly appreciate the talent of the contestants.  Also, I'm a big fan of the judges and host. 

Imagine food that appears so gory, disgusting, and truly scary, yet you can't stop eating because it's so delicious.  Too much fun!

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@Midmod wrote:
@hopi

@Midmod

I was referring to the last Baking Championship.  Molly Yeh hosted, she was all over the place with silly challenges for experienced bakers. Judgges  cut one of the top 2 bakers while 3 awful bakers remained. There was such outrage, they brought the cut baker back.  One of the top bakers refused to do Molly's  childish last rematch challenge and walked off. The show had a weird agenda about keeping bad cooks with stories.... very bad shows.

@hopi   There was a lot of backlash from viewers about the baker Romy who created such wonderful items and was supposed to be the clear winner.

I didn't blame him for walking off-that Molly was awful-sprinkles for the main ingredient.  No wonder he left.

As far as this season of Halloween Baking Championship-there isn't one baker I feel for.  Just doesn't seem to have the same "feel" and even interest by the judges seems so-so.

Even Carla Hall, who I really like, doesn't seem to be into it as much; same with Zac.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@hopi wrote:

@Midmod wrote:
@hopi

@Midmod

@hopi   There was a lot of backlash from viewers about the baker Romy who created such wonderful items and was supposed to be the clear winner.

I didn't blame him for walking off-that Molly was awful-sprinkles for the main ingredient.  No wonder he left.

As far as this season of Halloween Baking Championship-there isn't one baker I feel for.  Just doesn't seem to have the same "feel" and even interest by the judges seems so-so.

Even Carla Hall, who I really like, doesn't seem to be into it as much; same with Zac.

@Cakers3 

I loved Romy and I'm still on the fence if he should have walked off because of using sprinkles.  He had a good shot at winning.

As for this season, I agree wtih you that no baker so far stands out but of course it's only the 2nd show. 

As always, I find the costumes that the judges wear are great.  No idea what happened to Zac last show when he didn't show up for judging but showed up at the last minute.  Not sure if it was supposed to be that way or not.

Trusted Contributor

@cakers 3
I didn't like the "blood" spattered bathrobe and towel turban the female judge was wearing. Distracting and disturbing to me
Esteemed Contributor

I think the focus is too hard on the macabre. I admit I missed the last hour of last week (why can’t they just be one hour?? But I digress…) The host even commented to one contestant that her items the week before weren’t gory enough for the judges. What’s wrong with something cute for Halloween? More Casper the friendly ghost vs Nightmare on Elm Street? Heck, the tie in last week was a cartoon!