Respected Contributor

Hallmark's first two Christmas movies of 2019 will debut in July

Christmas doesn’t arrive until the end of the year, but Hallmark aims to warm you up for the holiday in the heat of the summer by debuting two original Yuletide movies.

Hallmark Movies & Mysteries will premiere Christmas Camp on July 7 at 9 p.m. Starring Lily Anne Harrison and Bobby Campo, the film (pictured above) centers on an advertising exec (Harrison) who must bring in a new account in the form of a traditional toy company. To learn more about the holiday and its traditions, she attends a “Christmas Camp,” where she crosses paths with the camp owner’s son (Campo), who teaches her about other stuff, too, like love.

The following week, on July 13 at 8 p.m., Hallmark Channel will debut A Merry Christmas Match, starring Ashley Newbrough and Kyle Dean Massey. The plot revolves around a woman named Corey (Newbrough) who lives in a ski village, works in her mom’s antique shop, and puts on an annual children’s Christmas pageant in honor of her late father. When a man named Ryder (Massey) visits her store, Corey wonders if she should have left town and followed her dreams of becoming a theater director.

Christmas Camp is part of Hallmark Movies and Mysteries’ “Gold Crown Christmas” campaign, which spans from June 28 to July 14, while A Merry Christmas Match kicks off Hallmark Channel’s “Keepsake Christmas,” which runs from July 12 to July 27. In recent years Hallmark has made it something of a tradition to debut one new Christmas movie per network during its halfway-to-Christmas events in the past, though last year it did not premiere any new ones. Both campaigns also will offer up repeats of fan favorite Hallmark Christmas movies from recent years.

Christmas Camp and A Merry Christmas Match represent the first two new original holiday movies from the record 40 holiday movies that Hallmark is planning for both networks in 2019. Lacey Chabert, Candace Cameron Bure, and Kristen Chenoweth are among the stars featured in the new crop of flicks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hallmark's first two Christmas movies of 2019 will debut in July

Thanks for sharing. I still have a lot of shows on my DVR from Christmas that was on Hallmark last year. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

Looking forward to them, but not sure why Hallmark insists on using boy meets girl themes in most of its Christmas movies.  I

Respected Contributor

I wish they would make some with the main characters an older couple.  I remember seeing a movie (not sure if it was Hallmark) years ago where Julie Andrews and James Garner were the couple....it was really good, and something different.  

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Looking forward to them, but not sure why Hallmark insists on using boy meets girl themes in most of its Christmas movies.  I

@Foxxee  I agree.

I'd like to see more movies that center around family. I don't mind the romantic Christmas movies, but I wish they would switch it up once in awhile.

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I wish they would make some with the main characters an older couple.  I remember seeing a movie (not sure if it was Hallmark) years ago where Julie Andrews and James Garner were the couple....it was really good, and something different.  

@alicedee  I'd LOVE to see older main characters too. The only older characters you see are either grandparents/mothers/fathers of the leads, neighbors or townsfolk.

It would be nice to see a movie centered around someone in their 50's, 60's or 70's.

Honored Contributor

Many of you echoed my thoughts. More variety, with a focus on family stories, or middle aged romance, would be welcomed by me.
Respected Contributor

I remember as a teenager and through my 20s I read Harlequin Romances...those books followed a pretty "set" formula, and though you may be in London, on an island, or a cattle ranch, the stories were basically the same.

Hallmark has fallen into that formula, as well.   And the sheer volume is amazing!  I enjoy most of the movies....but those story lines are getting old and repetitive.  I won't watch as much this year, unless they get a bit more creative.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

As I have mentioned on the boards before, we pay more to our cable company for a "higher tier" to have access to Hallmark Mysteries and Movies.  I really object to Hallmark hijacking their channels by putting these movies on 24/7 for two months previous to the holiday and for two weeks following the New Year holiday.  I don't care for these movies and haven't watched a single one in five years.  Everyone but me seems want Christmas all  year long. 

Valued Contributor

I remember that movie with Julie Andrews and James Garner.  Such a good movie.  And agree more movies with older people.

Within a minute or two I can always predict how the movie will end.