Honored Contributor

I don't care for Hallmark movies.

Honored Contributor

Nothing against the genre but I also don't get the big connection between Hallmark movies and country music. It seems like they put out quite a number of movies with a country music theme. More times than not, the music they feature isn't that good. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It may be because Kelli Pickler is one of their stars.

@stevieb wrote:

Nothing against the genre but I also don't get the big connection between Hallmark movies and country music. It seems like they put out quite a number of movies with a country music theme. More times than not, the music they feature isn't that good. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Hallmark movies

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

It may be because Kelli Pickler is one of their stars.

@stevieb wrote:

We've also seen Lee Ann Rimes in a couple of these things, but the big question is why, given neither of these women is a particularly gifted actress... More to the point, they also seem intent on turning members of their acting stable, such as it is, into country music singers or having the focus of several movie story lines be on country music, even when music isn't part of the show... It appears they're really pushing this focus... It's not right or wrong, though it often does seem contrived... I just find it curious, especially given most of these movies are produced in Canada and feature Canadian actors...

Honored Contributor

They pay for these movies themselves.

Mariah Carey did a 2 picture deal and she has only done one movie so far.  She produces and directs.

It's also cross promotion.  So you have Dollywood and Graceland doing movies to promote their sites.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hallmark movies

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

Basing my comments solely on stereotypesI think we can all agree that Hallmark movies are very wholesome.  I think country music fits their brand better - a Kelly Pickler vs Miley Cyrus.  I personally prefer Miley's music, but I don't think anyone sees her type as a Hallmark heroine.  

Regardless of the number of movies that take place in the "big city", many rely on aschewing that life for something simpler in the name of love. The movies (still stereotyping so don't jump on me) play to middle America, which I assume is the heart of country music. 

Although I prefer their mystery channel, I'm looking forward to their Holiday movies this year; just kind of want some of that "sweetness" this year.

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

They pay for these movies themselves.

Mariah Carey did a 2 picture deal and she has only done one movie so far.  She produces and directs.

It's also cross promotion.  So you have Dollywood and Graceland doing movies to promote their sites.

Probably true enough as far as the whole cross promotion and 'vanity press' movies go, but that wouldn't explain why several of their more routine movie efforts, most recently that debacle last weekend, seem increasingly to focus on the genre. There probably is something to be said for the Hallmark powers that be assuming the theme appeals to their primary demographic. Then too, perhaps their stable is simply loaded with not so talented frustrated singers and this is a way to highlight their, um, skills.