Respected Contributor

Re: Hallmark Hanukkah Movie & More

I have it set for recording.  I'm loving all the different movies they are having.  There are a couple with Holly Robinson-Peete also.  I just love her.  I have almost every night being recorded this coming week or two.  It's been very enjoyable to watch these movies as I sit here in my home for the last 10 months.  I watch CNN to get my voice all strengthened (cause I yell a lot) 

Frequent Contributor

I'm glad that Hallmark is recognizing that December is more than Christmas but last years movies treated Judaism in a very token kind of way and that it was an "other"and that Jewish people have no idea what Christmas is like and vice-versa.  Please YouTube if you don't know others customs.  It was a turn off for me. Also Hanukkah is not a major holiday so elevating it to be like Christmas is disconcerting. However,  I'm glad others are enjoying. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you, NickNack.  I will record it, too.

Honored Contributor

Reminder tonite at 8 ET. Mia Kirshner stars, Canadian actress , grandparents were Holocaust survivors, also stars Ben Savage, bro of Fred, Ben had a series in the 90's called Boy Meets World. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@greencardigan  @jackthebear  I've always found it sort of unfortunate that those seeking egalitarian 'coverage' of holidays always seem to want to equate Hanukkah with Christmas in terms of relative importance respective to the two religions and, as you note, they're not. If those so seeking and the media truly wanted to recognize High Holy Days, this would not be the one. I am not Jewish but know enough about Judaism to understand that Hanukkah is actually a relatively minor celebration by comparison to Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashanah and a few others. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@NickNack - I saw a cute Hanukkah/Christmas movie last year, Double Trouble with Carly Pope and Kristoffer Polaha as the leads. They have to learn each other's traditions to work together on an office holiday party that will result in one of them getting a promotion. I think you can watch it on Amazon, but it will probably be on sometime during this season.  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom I saw that one too but thought it was on Lifetime. Could be mistaken though esp since Polaha is in the Hallmark stable.

I liked it. Will be watching tonight's too.Ive seen promos for it all week.

Honored Contributor

I thought it was only OK with not much chemistry between the 2 leads. The male lead wasn't nearly as attractive as they usually are in HMK films.

Interesting that of the two Hanukkah films I've seen they also heavily involve Christmas.  Would be nice to see a Jewish/Hannukah only story where the plot doesn't also involve Christmas.

Trusted Contributor

I wasn't crazy about this movie but I did love last year's. It was the first time I'd seen Krisoffer Polaha and whoa boy.Heart Handsome and funny.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pigletsmom wrote:

I wasn't crazy about this movie but I did love last year's. It was the first time I'd seen Krisoffer Polaha and whoa boy.Heart Handsome and funny.

And isn't it funny because as soon as I see his name, (along with quite a few other of the Hallmark male actors and a few of the women too) I know it's an instant channel changer... They need some fresh faces...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I am not a lover of Hallmark movies, but I enjoyed it, but as usual, oh so predictable, like the guy said about the girls lasagne in the movie.