Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hallmark Christmas Movie - We Wish You A Married Christmas.

I watched We Need a Little Christmas on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries last night - so slow and boring. 

Respected Contributor

I agree about watching “Nine Lives of Christmas” and “Nine Kittens of Christmas” over and over. Good actors and enjoyable storylines. Not much of a fan of the newer movies, actors just don’t connect with me. Another movie I watch every time I know it’s on is GAC’s “Christmas Angel’, on at 4:00am Thursday 10/27 and yes will get up and watch again. Good actors and great story. I wish the two younger actors would make a follow up movie. Problem as I see it is many of the more senior actors= better actors, become two expensive and networks prefer to keep their overall cost lower. Glad I have collected many of the movies I enjoyed over the years Christmas theme on DVD.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl 

What happened is Bill Abbott, Former CEO and
President of Crown Media Family left Hallmark (by some accounts--forced out---) over "creative differences". Bill Abbott then acquired GAC, originally Great American Country, in June 2021, it was rebranded into Great American Media and divided into two different brands--- GAC Family Channel and Great American Living. Many of the actors followed him from Hallmrk to his new enterprise.....

Heres how to watch the new channel---

https://www.greatamericanfamily.com/channel-finder/

Abbott was replaced at Hallmark by Wonya Lucas, she made changes which included adding a lot of reruns to Hallmarks lineup to improve their profitability.  And many viewers have complained about the quality of the movies, both scripts and acting, since she took over. 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@J Town Girl 

President of Crown Media Family left Hallmark (by some accounts--forced out---) over "creative differences". Bill Abbott then acquired GAC, originally Great American Country, in June 202, it was rebranded into Great American Media and divided into two different brands--- GAC Family Channel and Great American Living. Many of the actors followed him from Hallmrk to his new enterprise.....

Abbott was replaced at Hallmark by Wonya Lucas, she made changes which included adding a lot of reruns to Hallmarks lineup to improve their profitability.  And many viewers have complained about the quality of the movies, both scripts and acting, since she took over. 

@Spurt  The complaints are justified in my opinion. I was never a big Hallmark fan, though I have historically watched a few of the Christmas movies here or there and occasionally a mystery movie. The only reruns I find enjoyable are Golden Girls, which quite frankly could use a hiatus, Murder She Wrote (in small doses, and could probably also stand a hiatus), Diagnosis Murder and, of course, Lucy, which Hallmark no longer shows. Meanwhile, many cable channels, Hallmark included, is bombarding us with Reba... As for the movies, holiday and otherwise, there was nothing wrong with trying to make them a bit less formulaic and a bit more 'inclusive' but unfortunately, it appears the powers that be have failed to recognize there was a fairly predictable formula that, for better or wrose, led to their success and diluting it too much pretty much ensures many long term viewers will tune out. It's unlikely the changes will generate enough viewers to make up the loss, particularly as bad as the movies, overall, are proving to be. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@J Town Girl 

President of Crown Media Family left Hallmark (by some accounts--forced out---) over "creative differences". Bill Abbott then acquired GAC, originally Great American Country, in June 202, it was rebranded into Great American Media and divided into two different brands--- GAC Family Channel and Great American Living. Many of the actors followed him from Hallmrk to his new enterprise.....

@Spurt  The complaints are justified in my opinion. I was never a big Hallmark fan, though I have historically watched a few of the Christmas movies here or there and occasionally a mystery movie. The only reruns I find enjoyable are Golden Girls, which quite frankly could use a hiatus, Murder She Wrote (in small doses, and could probably also stand a hiatus), Diagnosis Murder and, of course, Lucy, which Hallmark no longer shows. Meanwhile, many cable channels, Hallmark included, is bombarding us with Reba... As for the movies, holiday and otherwise, there was nothing wrong with trying to make them a bit less formulaic and a bit more 'inclusive' but unfortunately, it appears the powers that be have failed to recognize there was a fairly predictable formula that, for better or wrose, led to their success and dilutinf it too much pretty much ensures many long term viewers will tune out. It's unlikely the changes will generate enough viewers to make up the loss, particularly as bad as the movies, overall, are proving to be. 

@stevieb 

Yep, you're right! The story formulas were way too predictable...Actually I preferred to watch their mysteries on the Hallmark Movie and Mystery Channel....But the Christmas and other movies provided a nice change of pace and a break from reality that we all need from time to time which as you said has led to their success..............

Now much of their top talent has followed their old boss, and what we are left with is just BAD HALLMARK MOVIES! And boy the reviews on social media were bad: from slow and boring plot (and was it really important to show a tampon box) to bad acting, and too much focus on "an agenda" ........It was like when The Golden Girls "jumped the shark" when the emphasis changed to topical issues rather than the lives of the characters and good comedy writing....

Hallmark used to take painstaking care in pairing their leading characters, but now, it's like they draw random names from a hat and slap couples together. The newer movies featuring couples with no spark, or even a pulse.

Not only will the "new" Hallmark get competition from GAC but The Lifetime Channel has wasted no time in promoting their WONDERFUL LIFETIME MOVIE EVENTS perhaps in the hopes of capturing some of the viewing audience dissatsified with the quality of the new fare from Hallmark.......

Lifetime's been promoting "The Dog Days Of Christmas" on November 11th ....sounds much like an old Hallmark Plot---Interestingly some of the cast hails from Australia....

What is Dog Days of Christmas About?

While visiting her family during Christmastime, Annie Blake (Georgia Flood) decides to help three stray dogs get adopted before heading back into her career working for a global non-profit.  But when she runs into local veterinarian, Dylan Hawkes (Ezekiel Simat), her old high school debate partner, they team up to save an animal rescue.  Ultimately, Annie discovers that finding love, and making a difference in the world, can happen right at home.

It will be interesting to see if audiences move away from Hallmark and jumping to GAC and/or Lifetime this season.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Aren't all their movies pretty much the same?   I haven't watched one in a while, so I haven't seen this one but what is currently bothering me is that now, and for months I imagine, they have nothing but these movies 24/7.

I was recording Cheers and enjoying watching those episodes, plus Frasier from time to time, and now nothing but those movies.

I'm curious if people really watch those movies 24/7 for months.  It's just too much.  They could do plenty of movies and have time left over for other shows and such.

/rant

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  Lifetime has been doing Christmas for a while now, but they're offerings are often easily as agenda driven as Hallmark is trying to become. My favorite holiday movie last year was actually one done by GAC. Also, Paramount (not Paramount Plus) does a handful of holiday movies. None of them on any of these platforms is exactly award winning, the acting has always been a bit iffy, but yes, the scripts and the actors appear to be getting worse. And frankly, there have got to be some better looking men out there than most of the ones they hire. Hallmark should now be focused more on their audience than on being oh so relevant. Relevant isn't going to see middle America tuning in en masse. On the contrary.

Honored Contributor

I would also suggest that 24/7 of those movies for months at a time, even were they uniformly good (and they aren't), is too much. They should include a few hours each day of their regular programming. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watched Holiday Hearts and We Need A Little Christmas. They were ok.  I can’t watch anything with Lacey Chabert.

Respected Contributor

That movie is on again today and wondered if I should record it.

Think I'll skip it after reading what everyone said.

I agree the older movies are much better!

Thanks for all your input.Cat Happy