Honored Contributor

Re: Hallmark Channel Actors/Actresses

@Lucky Charm wrote:
I don't think I've ever watched an entire hallmark movie. But I'm so glad there's an option! Usually in the evenings dh watches sports of some sorts and I'm either on the computer or reading. I rarely watch tv after jeopardy until I go to bed.

Does anyone else get the hallmark questionnaires emailed to them? They ask if it's too much fluff and do you watch? I always say yes because I don't want them to start with the typical vulgarity on other networks.

Interesting post. I don't watch TV to be educated, so if there's something that looks nice, AND has pretty photography and a non challenging plot, to me THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!

If I need to LEARN something, I usually READ about it.

I just bought Susan Lucci's "EBBIE" and I'm looking forward to watching it for the 4th or 5th time. But I already know how it comes out, because I read the Dickens original.

Esteemed Contributor

I mostly watched Hallmark movies today.  I love them, formula or not. 

Sadly all that fluff will be undone by the JonBenet CBS show tonight.  I'm as intrigued by that as I am the Stacy Peterson case.

Honored Contributor

I get the surveys from Hallmark and I, too, answer that they shouldn't change them.

As for the same actors and actresses, it's because they come with a built in audience.

Back in the day, Cheryl Ladd and Jaclyn Smith were in jsut about every Danielle Steele tv movie (as well as others).

I don't see this as being any different.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

As for the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel movies, I am not a fan of mysteries, so I don't watch any of them.  I watch Signed, Sealed, Delivered but it's less mystery and more story/drama.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

There are some actresses that are making a Hallmark Christmas movie every year. Some of them I can accept in all the different roles (like Candice Cameron Bure) and others not so much.

My only wish is that Hallmark would make something besides these romance things, especially in their Christmas movies.

I agree and I would like to see some classic movies as well.  Also they could throw in some minorities here and there.  Candace seems to be on everything. 

Contributor

Yes, the Hallmark Channel movies do have a sizable number of actors and actresses that appear frequently in various productions.  But that is not a bad thing.  Many of them are engaging actors and are personally appealing.

Are the movies formulaic?  Of course they are.  They are essentially TV versions of romance novels, the squeaky clean type. Within the romance novel genre, there are many categories, and each one has a specific formula, so specific in fact that there are rules  the writer must follow, that on page such and such, such and such kind of interaction must take place.  I suspect the writers for the Hallmark movies have similar guidelines for their stories.

Each Hallmark movie is typically set in a picturesque setting, sometimes a major city is featured, sometimes a more rural setting.  The themes seem to center around GOOD vs BAD.  The GOOD includes the simple country life, home & family & marriage, small business .... the BAD includes fast-paced city life, greedy ambition, large business, and real estate developers destroying the simple country life .... 

The main character is usually an attractive young woman, with dreams she is longing to fulfill, but obstacles are in her way, often some hard knocks from her past, including the loss of one or both parents.  She is usually white, with a minority BFF/business partner, who wisely helps her discern her own heart.  She is often too "something" to want to be in a relationship with ..... too busy with work, too committed to raising her child as a single parent, too burned from a past relationship gone bad.  A new man comes into her life, but they are at loggerheads and are in conflict through the first part of the movie, but then events occur that cause the two main characters to reexamine their perceptions of each other and finally come to realize their love for each other.  The writers try to come up with different angles on the story line.  For example, not all the main characters are female, sometimes the story is told from the man's point of view.  Many of the main characters are older than typical romantic "date" type movies you see in movie theaters, and face problems related to caring for a child/children, caring for an aging parent, problems with employment, etc.  Sometimes the dialog is quite clever, and I have had some laugh out loud funny moments. 

I enjoy watching Hallmark movies just for the "feel good" experience, especially if I am dealing with a health issue and have to be horizontal for a period of time.  In the end, love wins, broken hearts are mended, and the future is bright with promise.  Is the male lead a literal prince, the heir to a large fortune, or suddenly successful in a lucrative business?  Frequently, but not always.  As Shakespeare said, The course of true love never did run smooth .....  but in the Hallmark universe, All's Well That Ends Well!  It beats the fetid fare that is served up in most entertainment venues today.  And one cannot watch QVC 24/7 to escape the awful things going on in the world today.  Well, maybe one can ..... BUT, with Hallmark movies, shipping and handling are free! 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

They clearly have their own in-house stable of actors, some of whom are appealing and not bad, but many of whom are actually not very believable... or talented... I suppose, almost like the old 'studio system', having a list of contract actors probably simplifies matters, since they don't have to do a great many casting calls for the leads... and so on... 

Some of Hallmark's offerings are entertaining and are 'easy viewing', while others are just plain tedious... I enjoy some of the holiday movies, while others fall flat... Likewise, some of their home-grown series and movie-series are entertaining, while others grow tedious pretty quickly.

As someone else noted, one of the things that often appeals are the sets and the homes depicted... It's also true that their offerings are never hair-raising experiences and so, as noted, make for 'easy viewing'...

Aside from the sometimes cloying sweetness and redundancy of the plots, one of the things I've always thought they needed to work on was the casting of a good many of the leading men... With just a few exceptions, they aren't terribly appealing or attractive and certainly wouldn't have my heart aflutter... That said, were it up to me, I'd also rethink some of their oft-used leading ladies, some of whom are just plain over-exposed and others of whom just can't act...

@stevieb

I watch about one Hallmark movie a year, and tend to get a lot done while it's on in the background.   I could never just sit and watch it ... the movie would never hold my attention.

ITA that the men aren't particularly attractive and appealing ... more like they recently left grad school and have very little experience in the real world.   Many of them just don't seem competent.  

If the majority of their movies are what their viewers want, then Hallmark should work on finding better writers.  Yes, a movie can be formulaic AND well crafted.   It can be done.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't watch all the time, but admit to spending more than a few days binge watching! Basically, if I turn on the station, as long as I haven't seen the movie before, I will probably just keep the station on.

One thing I hate is how awful the current boyfriend usually is. Sometimes, he's downright manipulative and evil! Hate this. There are times where I wish the city girl will realize that the sexy cowboy isn't really her soul mate and finds herself happiest with her perfectly nice accountant boyfriend.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Super Shopper: Great assessment and I totally agree. Formulaic plots, attractive stars that keep reappearing over and over and picturesque settings, but a much-needed escape from the news. Plus I’m a sucker for a happy ending where the girl and guy overcome all sorts of obstacles and misunderstandings to realize they belong together.