Honored Contributor

Hal Holbrook Dies at 95

[ Edited ]

One of my favorite actors ever. His historical portrayals were amazing.

But my favorite role of his was on Designing Women as Reese Watson, the boyfriend of his real wife Dixie Carter, who died in 2010. I will always appreciate the laughs and the escapades of Julia Sugarbaker and Reese Watson.  

Honored Contributor

My mother took us to see his one man show as Mark Twain. I've never forgotten that though it was years ago and my sister and I were very young. He was incredible.  You were sure he was Mark Twain.

Thank you Mr. Holbrook. Well done.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Re: Hal Holbrook Dies at 95

[ Edited ]

sigh....Hal and Dixie (and I) were walking on Sutter Street here in San Francisco a few years ago and to my surprise and happiness, Hal asked ME(!) for directions to the Plush Room nightclub in the neighborhood.  I didn;t quite realize who they were at that moment, until a few minutes into it, I was "beside myself."  This was after Designing Women and she was doing live cabaret in different cities.  They seemed like very normal folk, just like you and me. Except they looked alittle bit like Vivien Leigh and Lawrence Olivier.  RIP Hal and Dixie from a loving fan.....sigh againSmiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom 

I agree...that was my favorite role for HH. 

However, each time I saw him in something new, it became my "favorite" role...such a magnetic talent.

He and Dixie seemed a match made in heaven...and now they are together again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I loved his portrayal of Abe Lincoln too.  His voice and how well he acted, was one of a kind.  

Esteemed Contributor

He could read the phone book and I would listen. He just had a way about him.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Hubbs especially enjoyed his role in the Perry Mason movies. He played an attorney-I think he was Wild Bill. I really liked "Star Chamber".

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And don't forget the ground breaking, controversial (for its time) 1972 television film, That Certain Summer.  Holbrook played Hope Lange's husband and Martin Sheen's lover.

That+Certain+Summer+Ad.jpg

Honored Contributor

Hal  was such a gentleman and could make me smile, an laugh, and sad if needed to be for what ever role he played

.Smiley Happy

Dixie i'm sure was waiting for him they are now together again.

Will look for a new star in the sky tonight.Heart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Loved his acting, especially in these movies:

Into The Wild

The Fog

Creepshow

The Firm

Water for Elephants

The Star Chamber

He lived a nice long life! May he RIP.....