Honored Contributor

HUMPHREY BOGART DOUBLE FEATURE FRIDAY 2:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Two of his enduring classics-- you can't very well have "Bogey" without these, can you:

Annex - Astor, Mary (Maltese Falcon, The)_03.jpg

2:30 p.m. Eastern-- "The Maltese Falcon"   Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre, Gladys George

6c218b55f15fc688f74c4d9a34977bc7.png

4:15 p.m. Eastern--  "To Have and Have Not"  Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Hoagy Carmichael, Walter Brennan 

Honored Contributor

Re: HUMPHREY BOGART DOUBLE FEATURE FRIDAY 2:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

To Have and Have Not. A real favorite. Loved her in that checkered suit, and her song and all of the rest of it.

@Oznell  I've been wanting to thank you for mentioning Blueprint for Murder with Joseph Cotten. I rented it and we reallllly enjoyed it. Fast moving, twists and turns, and that gangbusters ending. 

Honored Contributor

You are so right, Oznell, two of Bogie's greats.  I have seen both many times and do not get sick of either, that is a sign of a well done classic!!

Honored Contributor

Glad you liked that one, @Judaline.  I really feel for Joseph Cotten at the end, sweating out whether she was truly guilty or not!

@spiderw, me too.  I find that over time, I have a different perspective on them, and get more out of each.  As I've gotten older, I have (slightly) more insight into that endlessly duplicitous Mary Astor character in "The Maltese Falcon".    Watching "To Have and Have Not", it's extraordinary to reflect that Bacall was only 19 or something in that role!  A teenager, more or less, and to have that assurance and impact on the screen... 

Honored Contributor

I agree, Oznell, that as we get older and watch many of the classics, we do have different thoughts about the story line that we may have missed when younger.  As I have mentioned in these posts, I often went to the movies when I stayed at my aunt's house.  I have to admit that many of the fifties movies I saw I didn't quite understand because I was young.  The plots and story lines were over my naive head!!!!!  However, as I saw the same movies in later years I learned to appreciate what they were about and had a different out look.  But despite all that I loved the movies and the acting, settings and don't remember ever being bored sitting in the theater and watching magic on the screen as a young girl.

Yes, it's amazing how young Bacall was in Have and Have Not and how she and Bogie had such chemistry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

Glad you liked that one, @Judaline.  I really feel for Joseph Cotten at the end, sweating out whether she was truly guilty or not!

@spiderw, me too.  I find that over time, I have a different perspective on them, and get more out of each.  As I've gotten older, I have (slightly) more insight into that endlessly duplicitous Mary Astor character in "The Maltese Falcon".    Watching "To Have and Have Not", it's extraordinary to reflect that Bacall was only 19 or something in that role!  A teenager, more or less, and to have that assurance and impact on the screen... 

I think she was 17, not sure. If she was a model first, she didn't model teen clothes! I saw a pic of her once. She said once that the reason she put her head down and looked up (usually at Bogie) was because she was scared and shaking. She had me fooled. I thought it was a come hither look, lol.