Honored Contributor

HItchcock's "Psycho" Tonight TCM 8:00 p.m. Eastern

Not my favorite Hitchcock.  But it has so many devoted fans.  Best parts for me were poor, doomed Vera Miles as Janet Leigh's inquiring sister, and wonderful character actor Martin Balsam.

Am open to challenge on this, but to me this film marked a reliance by Hitchcock on certain "gimmicky" bits that represent the less worthy, cartoonish aspects of his huge talent...   But hope the many fans of Psycho thorooughly enjoy their fave tonight!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: HItchcock's "Psycho" Tonight TCM 8:00 p.m. Eastern

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I'm going to watch it.  And following it is another Perkins movie, Pretty Poison.  The title of the film describes the role of its other star, Tuesday Weld.  It's not nearly as good as Psycho but I my keep watching the channel and see it again, since it's been years since I've see the film.  It's only OK.  Psycho, on the other hand, is a masterpiece!  

Honored Contributor

Yes, @Pearlee, "Pretty Poison" achieved a minor cult status over the years.  I've sometimes wondered why Tuesday Weld, with her kittenish, almost Bardot-like quality, didn't have a bigger career...   She does have a terrific, "actressy" name, which I think spawned a lot of little "Tuesdays" in the 60's.

Honored Contributor

Psycho is one of my favorite Hitchcock films.  It took a long time before I could watch it alone.  I would always turn it off before Martin Balsam went up those stairs!  It is in my top 5 Hitchcock films.

Respected Contributor

My mother took me to see Psycho when I was 10. She told me to cover my eyes at the scary parts. After the movie she would answer any upset I had re any scary movie by saying it’s just a movie. 

There are so many classic scenes, the house is the house Edward Hopper painted. The music is so effective in setting the scene, the black and white film and the lighting creating stark shadows.

I’ll be watching tonight.

Imho Psycho and Vertigo are Hitchcock’s masterpieces.

I

Esteemed Contributor

LOVE Martin Balsam.

He was good in "Middle of the Night," also.

@Oznell   Tuesday Weld:  Did you ever see "Soldier in the Rain?" Omigosh, she was so cute in that ~ a living doll. I love that movie - it starred Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen.

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow, no, I haven't.  But I'll have to look it up-- I LOVE Steve McQueen!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Oh you will LOVE it! Very hard to find film, though. When we still had DISH, TCM ran it and I saved it.

Steve McQueen did an excellent job in this film - ditto Jackie Gleason.

Honored Contributor

@IMW, I'm intrigued by your two favorite Hitchcocks.  I would say "Vertigo" is one of my tops too.  Let's see, "Vertigo",  "Shadow of a Doubt",  and then maybe, "Notorious".

But gosh, it's so hard to narrow them down.