Honored Contributor

Re: HITCHCOCK'S "VERTIGO" JAMES STEWART THURSDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Whoa, what great stills of those apartments, @just bee !  Am going to have to go look those up.   I just swoon over the smart mix of midcentury and tradition in "Scottie's" place-- my ideal.  I like Midge's carefree loft-like space too, but the visual pile-ups of all her stuff are a little too reminiscent of how this place would look if I didn't rein myself in.... 

Honored Contributor

Just recently I saw "Frenzy". Can't say I liked it,but I can say "WOW".

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Whoa, what great stills of those apartments, @just bee !  Am going to have to go look those up.   I just swoon over the smart mix of midcentury and tradition in "Scottie's" place-- my ideal.  I like Midge's carefree loft-like space too, but the visual pile-ups of all her stuff are a little too reminiscent of how this place would look if I didn't rein myself in.... 

@Oznell 

Well, I don't recommend a house fire, but it certainly took care of my clutter.  But what I really liked about both apartments were those views of the city.

Can you imagine the prices of that real estate today?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Just recently I saw "Frenzy". Can't say I liked it,but I can say "WOW".

@Group 5 minus 1 

I remember the first time I saw it.  I can't remember if it was wow or whoa, but it's a favorite. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

This is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.  I watch it every year and am always mesmorized (sp?).  I am a huge Jimmy Stewart fan and also loved him in The Man Who Knew Too Much and Rear Window.  No one can direct like Hitchcock did.  The music, the sets, the clothing, the tension, everything is spectacular.  I a going to watch The Man Who Knew Too Much tonight.

Honored Contributor

No description can do it justice, just watch it.

I agree it's one of Hitchcock's best 

Actually with all the good things going for it, the scenery, actors, storyline etc, it is a good one to re-watch.   For me, I always pick up on something new.

It reminds me how great the old movies were, with so little to work with as far as equipment.  Now movies are made with high tech cameras & computer generation.   Simplicity is another tool Hitchcock uses well in his movies.

@Oznell wrote:

VertigoBos.jpg

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Vertigo"  James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore

In the very top tier of Hitchcock's greats!  I seesaw between this, and "Shadow of a Doubt",  as being my favorite, most profound, Hitchcocks of all time.

Jimmy Stewart-- perfect as the wry, former police detective who gets unknowingly swept into something even more complicated than he bargained for.  He plumbs depths in himself, especially in that raw, intense, "tower" scene, that I don't believe we've ever seen in him before. 

Kim Novak was great casting as well-- I'm so glad Hitch didn't use Grace Kelly, or Vera Miles or Tippi Hedren.  Novak has that fragile, bruised beauty, the slight unease with herself, the vulnerability, that makes for such a memorable "Madeleine".   And how lovely she is in this:

c1c2ef958425dbf1da2ad409940f2eca.jpg

The clothes, the sets (I think it's @just bee and I who vie for having dibs on Stewart's cozy midcentury modern San Francisco apartment), the art direction in general-- superb.

Too much to mention.  I only wish I had never seen it before, instead of many times, so I could rediscover the sheer pleasure of seeing for the first time...

0466.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

This is one of my favorite movies (love Jimmy Stewart)....I like all the twist and turns (its a refreshing change of pace from those Hallmark movie plots...😄)......Loved the pairing of Stewart and Novak.... (enjoyed them together in "Bell, Book, & Candle" too....)

And for comedic spoof  ....I also love Mel Brook's take with his film, "High Anxiety"............😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

The first time I saw this movie, I was only 11 years old and I didn't really understand the plot. I've seen it a few fimes since, including last Thursday night, and each time I see it I realize how disturbing the plot is, especially the last part. Jimmy Stewart becomes a really sick, unsavory character and Kim Novak's character (Judy) is equally  disturbing. There is something off about Midge, Barbara bel Geddes, too. The only reason I watch this occasionally is because of the beautiful views of San Francisco. This is not one of my favorite Hitchcock movies. I loved "To Catch a Thief", "Dial M for Murder", "Rear Window", "Shadow of a Doubt", "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956 version), "Suspicion", "North By Northwest" and "Rebecca".